Alternate Format Requests
If you are a student who has a verified perceptual disability, you are entitled to access up to five textbooks in an alternate format.
Once you have reviewed the information below, please click the following link to access the Alternate Format Request Form
How to obtain alternate format materials
To order the alternate format materials, the student must meet the following requirements:
- The student must be registered with Accessibility Services and have a print or perceptual disability verified by one of our counsellors.
- The printed materials must be relevant to the current academic program of study for that student.
- The student must have the original printed receipt from the bookstore where the textbook was purchased.
What is the student's responsibility
- Students must give the information requested by the online form as accurately as possible; otherwise the process of getting the alternate format may be delayed.
- The textbook receipt must show the name of the book being requested. If the textbook is part of a package (or set of books), please circle the package item on the receipt for easy reference - individual ISBN numbers of each book will be required.
- Please print your name and student number, at the top, on the front side of the original receipt.
- Once the online form is completed, please take the original receipt to the Accessibility Office at your campus. The original receipt will be returned to you after photocopying or will be available for you to collect at a later date.
- PLEASE NOTE: a photocopy or scanned copy of the original receipt is not acceptable.
- If the textbooks are purchased online, you may forward your e-receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students who withdraw from a course, or no longer require the alternate format copy, are required to notify the AT Lab at Doon Campus.
- Students agree to abide by the copyright law.
Students who do not abide by these agreements will be denied this service.
How do I get alternate format materials?
Once we receive the alternate format request, we will email to inform you of the status of your request within three business days.
- If we already have the copy in our library, we will process your request within a week.
- If we don't have the copy available to us, we will order it from the publisher. PLEASE REMEMBER that the publisher requires at least three weeks to process this request.
- To avoid delay in receiving the alternate format materials, we advise the student to purchase their textbooks as soon as they become available at the bookstore at the beginning of each semester.
- We encourage you to start scanning your textbooks immediately to avoid any unforeseen delay from the publisher or in case an electronic copy of the material is not available.
How to scan text materials
There are two options to scan your textbook: manual or high-speed.
- Manual scanning is performed on a flat-bed scanner whereby the user has to set and re-set each page individually.
- The high-speed method requires that you must remove the spine of your textbook prior to scanning.
- PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE THE SPINE OF THE TEXTBOOK YOURSELF. Take the textbook to the Print Shop (2A316 located next to Doon Campus Bookstore) to have the spine removed professionally.
For more information or to book an appointment for scanning, please contact the Adaptive Technology Lab (Doon Campus).
Getting your alternate format materials
- We will notify you to pick up your requested materials as soon as they arrive.
- You must bring your requested textbooks to Adaptive Technology Lab (Doon Campus) for the ownership validation and stamping for E-Book Receipt.
- When the requested materials are in an electronic format (PDF, Word, Text), we need to transfer these files to your preferred storage device. Please bring one of the following devices to the Adaptive Technology Lab (Doon Campus).
- Two or more blank DVD disks
- Two USB memory sticks with the capacity of 2GB or higher
*To avoid any delay in picking up, we advise the students to drop off their USB sticks or DVDs in advance.