Students with disabilities face unique challenges as they search for employment.
The Employment Advisor can assist students and graduates to develop effective self-marketing strategies that serve to emphasize their suitability for a position in their chosen career.
This service is designed to meet the needs of our identified students while enhancing a student's career prospects. You will learn about:
- Researching and locating appropriate career opportunities
- Preparing applications, resumes, cover letters, portfolios and references
- Communicating with Employers, Interview and Presentation Skills
- Disclosing a disability - knowing how much to say, when and to whom
- Promoting key employability strengths and identifying potential challenges
- Understanding employment law - individual and employer rights/responsibilities
- Negotiating for needed goods and services and workplace accommodations
- Federal and Provincial hiring incentives and Financial Assistance
- Employment Equity and Diversity Hiring Practices
- Reviewing contract terms and conditions, accepting an offer of employment
- Managing and surviving the Transition from School to Work
Charlie Matjanec, Employment Advisor, 748-5220 ext. 3642. email@example.com