Learning Package Guideline
The Faculty Guide (pdf) gives direction for Conestoga instructors regarding the preparation of learning packages for student use.
- Learning Package Process Final (pdf, login required)
- Learning Package Request Form Final (pdf, login required)
Conestoga College instructors might prepare Learning Packages that students can use as a resource for their courses. Learning Packages might also be prepared to act as a supplement to a chosen textbook. Please note, each term a learning package is adopted, even if there are no changes, it must be submitted to James Yochem, Copyright Coordinator, in the LRC for copyright approval.
The fair dealing provision in the Copyright Act permits use of a copyright-protected work without permission from the copyright owner or the payment of copyright royalties. Conestoga’s Fair Dealing Policy allows short excerpts of copyright-protected works to be copied, printed and scanned for educational purposes, including for distribution to each student enrolled in a class as part of a learning package.
Copying is limited to short excerpts, defined as any of the following:
- Up to 10% of a copyright-protected work (including a literary work, musical
- score, sound recording, and an audiovisual work)
- One chapter from a book
- One article from a periodical (magazine or journal)
- One artistic work from a compilation
- One newspaper article or page
- One short story, play, poem, essay or musical score from an anthology
- One entry from a reference work (e.g. encyclopedia)
When copying or communicating short excerpts from a copyright-protected work under this Fair Dealing Policy, the source should be cited and, if given in the source, the name of the author or creator of the work should be provided.
For more information relating to what you can and cannot copy, please: