Internationally Trained Immigrants
Internationally trained immigrants are people who have training or education in their home country. They may require Essential Skills training to help them meet the demands of the Canadian Workplace.
- Many Things (Interesting Things for ESL Students): Many Things has interactive English Language games and activities to help you practice every day English.
- ESL Cyber Listening Lab: ESL Lab has a list of English Language listening activities.
- Explore Careers (from Measure Up): The Measure Up site allows you to search various occupations to find their specific employment and Essential Skills required.
- Sector-Specific, Terminology training, Information and Counselling Participants Workbook to the Overview and Orientation Workshop for Accountants (pdf): Participant’s workbook for the Overview and Orientation Workshop for Accountants.
- Sector-Specific, Terminology training, Information and Counselling Overview Participant's workbook (pdf): Participants’ workbook for the Overview and Orientation Workshop for Engineers.
- Canada Language Benchmark Essential Skills (pdf): Canadian Language Benchmark: Essential Skills Instructor’s Guide
- Working in Canada (Government of Canada): Working in Canada will help you find information about specific occupations including descriptions, wages and qualifications.
- Canadian Language Benchmarks/Essential Skills in the Workplace: The Canadian Language Benchmark Essential Skills website will help you to understand the language requirements for particular occupations in the Canadian workplace.
- Labour Market Information Job and Skill Requirements (Government of Canada): The Labour Market Information website from the Government of Canada will help you find the skill requirements for specific occupations.
My Essential Skills
Practice your Essential Skills here. You can use the assess tools to determine which skills are your strongest and which ones you need to improve. After you have assessed your skills, focus in on those skills that you need to work on the most.
- Portfolio (HRSDC) (pdf)