Great instruction; I learned a lot.
Participant - Using Templates Effectively
Top-Down Portfolio Management (MGMT0570)
Prove that you are executive material by providing your organization with an innovative approach to translate strategy into programs and projects while defining a framework for strategy execution and managment of benifits/value.
Instead of the traditional bottom-up approach of identifying ideas from the ranks, developing individual business cases that are more fiction than fact, and filtering them through a funnel to present executives with a list they will likely tear apart, top-down starts with the executives and translates strategy into executable business outcomes and capabilities that are delivered through initiatives, capturing all these relationships in a Results Chain model that is then used to identify projects and programs required to implement the strategy.
- Assess the existing portfolio against a properly defined and translated strategy to determine if the allocation of capital/budget is consistent with the relative contribution of programs and projects. This can allow the organization to reduce the budget or redirect funding to areas that will generate higher returns
- Provide a framework to define a structure of portfolios, programs and projects based on the achievement of company objectives and execution of strategy, with an emphasis on results and not on delivery
- When this model is used to assess execution of strategy, it can uncover inconsistencies between the delivery of projects and the achievement of business results, highlighting the need to either revise targets for results or adjust the strategy team environment
Attend This Workshop if You:
- Are managing a PMO and have been required to provide an approach to manage the realization of benefits from projects and programs
- Are a management or PPM consultant who would like to include this approach in your practice, providing you with a fresh concept to increase your consulting revenue
- Are managing a portfolio of projects that intend to transform your operation or organization and do not lend themselves well to traditional portfolio management approaches based on prioritized business cases
- Are a Project Manager who is interested in the role of Portfolio Manager or PMO Manager and could lead the adoption of the top-down approach in your organization
Duration: 7 Hours