(The instructor was) well informed, easy to talk to, and very, very helpful.
-Participant, Essential Computer Skills
English for Business: Communication for Participation, Writing and Grammar (ELS1520)
Develop techniques for effective written communication that will help you grow more confident in your ability to express yourself clearly.
This course will develop reading, writing and grammar skills for the purpose of responding to messages and reports in the technology workplace. Workplace e-mails, memos, and reports will be examined to develop confidence in understanding and interacting effectively at work. Vocabulary usage and grammar for developing fluency in written communication will be practiced.
- Gain the skills needed to participate effectively in various workplace written mediums.
- Ability to incorporate a process approach, to include self editing techniques, to writing.
- Communicate your message for better results.
- Write effective business messages - e-mails, memos, brief reports.
- Record and report notes - e.g. take phone messages; take meeting minutes; summarize a teleconference.
- Identify different styles and registers in written communication; and choose an appropriate style of response.
- Describe and write work-related processes and procedures using appropriate transitional phrases and connectors.
- Write short letters - thank you and congratulatory notes; invitations and requests.
- Identify and use abbreviations, acronyms and text messages frequently used in a business and technology setting.
- Read and summarize employee information notices and forms as identified by human resources and employees.
- Practice a process approach to writing - brainstorming and planning ideas; developing ideas; writing and reviewing drafts; revising, editing and proofreading.
- Read and summarize short articles related to business and technology.
- Analyze common grammar and punctuation errors; and practice correcting and revising.
Attend This Workshop if You:
- are a second-language speaker looking to improve your written workplace communication skills
Duration: 24 hours