Helping a Friend
How do I know if my friend needs immediate help?
If your friend has:
- Expressed thoughts of suicide
- Made a plan
- Has the means to hurt themselves or someone else (e.g. pills or a weapon)
- Attempted suicide or hurt themselves in the past
Please get your friend help immediately by contacting:
- The nearest Emergency Hospital
- Contact Here 24/7 at 1-844-437-3247
What if my friend refuses help?
Your friend's level of distress may cause him or her to have difficulty receiving help.
- Sometimes this level of distress may cause people to be unable to think clearly about their situation and the different options available to them.
- Your direct help with intervening in this situation is the priority to helping your friend through this crisis situation
- Safety trumps privacy – keeping them alive will allow them to have a future with you
- If you are unsure how to approach the situation, you can consult with a mental health professional