Culinary Skills - Chef Training (Co-op)
Program DetailsCredential: 1-Year Ontario College Certificate
Graduates of the Culinary Skills program are employed in a variety of settings including the hospitality industry and institutional food service facilities. This two-semester certificate program is designed to provide the student with fundamental knowledge and techniques of quality food preparation, an understanding of the complexity of kitchen management and an appreciation of fine food. A co-operative education work term in the final semester enables the student to develop skills and enhance his/her knowledge learned in the college setting. Upon completion, the graduate should have strong entry-level skills to meet the culinary demands of the industry.
Student AvailabilityConestoga College facilitates recruitment on an ongoing basis - there are no hard deadlines. Typical time frames for work terms are listed below.
Postings are accepted beginning four months before the start of a term until all students have secured employment provided the minimum 12 consecutive weeks of full-time work is met.
|Year 1||Classes||Classes||Work Term*|
*Note: students are available for work term in the following semesters: fall (September to the end of December) and spring (May to the end of August).
Work Term Capabilities
- Demonstrate fundamental culinary skills and knowledge necessary to plan, prepare and present menu items
- Demonstrate safe food and equipment handling skills
- Familiar with food safety and sanitation procedures
- Apply cost control techniques for food and beverages such as inventory, purchasing and receiving procedures
- Use human relations skills and maintain professionalism while working in the food service environment
- Provide excellent customer service in dining room settings
- Computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Food Safety Certificate
- Smart-Serve Certified
Sample Job TitlesShort Order Cook, Line Cook, Sous Chef, Pastry Cook, Assistant Cook, Apprentice
Program CoursesTo see a typical course list for this program, see the current program course information.
Wage DataConestoga College collects data on hourly wages of co-operative education students. See the Schedule and Wage Data for details.
Post a Co-op Job NowSetup an account or login to Conestoga's MyCareer to post a job.
Contact InformationDo you need help developing a recruitment plan or job posting, accessing wage information, or connecting with a talented co-op student? Contact:
Employer Relations Consultant
519-748-5220 ext. 2735