Hospitality and Tourism Management (Optional Co-op)
Program DetailsCredential: 2-Year Ontario College Diploma
This program provides students with an overview of the hospitality and tourism industry, and entry-level management skills for a very diverse and integrated hospitality and tourism industry. Students will receive a broad base of business and entrepreneurial skills ensuring a strong understanding of financial, marketing and the human resources aspects of the industry.
Student AvailabilityConestoga College facilitates recruitment on an ongoing basis - there are no hard deadlines. Typical time frames for work terms are listed below.
Postings are accepted beginning four months before the start of a term until all students have secured employment provided the minimum 12 consecutive weeks of full-time work is met.
|Year||Fall (Sept. - Dec.)||Winter (Jan. - Apr.)||Spring/Summer (May - Aug.)|
|Year 1||Classes||Classes||Work Term|
Work Term CapabilitiesStudent work terms run back-to-back from May to October, and it is common for both work terms to be completed with the same employer. It is expected that due to the longer period of time, students will be given progressive responsibility and/or exposure to new challenges as their skills develop.
Work Terms I and II
- Apply general knowledge of the tourism industry
- Demonstrate knowledge of managing tourism destinations
- Apply tour and travel costing and planning
- Knowledge of niche tourism markets
- Apply presentation and team management skills
- Demonstrate knowledge of conference, business and tourism industry
- Computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Familiar with front office software
- Apply cost control techniques for food, beverages and labour
- Provide excellent customer service in frontline tourism and hospitality environments
- Knowledge of purchasing, receiving, storage and inventory procedures
- Smart Serve certified
- Food Safety Certificate
Sample Job TitlesHospitality and Tourism Agent, Sales Assistant, Customer Service Agent, Marketing Support, Banquet and Conference Server, Management Trainee, Host/Hostess, Guest Services, Spa Concierge, Hotel Front Office Agent, Tour Reservation Agent
Program CoursesTo see a typical course list for this program, see the current program course information.
Wage DataConestoga College collects data on hourly wages of co-operative education students. See the Schedule and Wage Data for details.
Post a Co-op Job NowSetup an account or login to Conestoga's MyCareer to post a job.
Contact InformationDo you need help developing a recruitment plan or job posting, accessing wage information, or connecting with a talented co-op student? Contact:
Employer Relations Consultant
519-885-0300 ext. 5137