Hospitality Management - Hotel and Restaurant (Co-op)
Program DetailsCredential: 2-Year Ontario College Diploma
This two year Hospitality Management - Hotel and Restaurant Program focuses on the restaurant and hotel sectors and is designed to provide students with balanced training that combines theory and practical experience in the specific skills involved in people management, hands-on food preparation, customer service, and financial controls needed in the Hospitality industry. Co-op terms can be completed in a restaurant, hotel, catering or other approved food and beverage facility either locally or across Canada. In addition, courses such as communication, computer skills, marketing, and nutrition ensure graduates are well rounded to meet the demands of industry.
Student AvailabilityConestoga College facilitates recruitment on an ongoing basis - there are no hard deadlines. Typical time frames for work terms are listed below.
Postings are accepted beginning four months before the start of a term until all students have secured employment provided the minimum 12 consecutive weeks of full-time work is met.
|Year||Fall (Sept. - Dec.)||Winter (Jan. - Apr.)||Spring/Summer (May - Aug.)|
|Year 1||Classes||Classes||Work Terms 1 and 2|
|Year 2||Classes Oct. - Dec.||Classes|
Work Term CapabilitiesStudent work terms run back-to-back from May to October, and it is common for both work terms to be completed with the same employer. It is expected that due to the longer period of time, students will be given progressive responsibility and/or exposure to new challenges as their skills develop.
Work Terms I and II
- Demonstrate fundamental culinary skills and knowledge necessary to prepare and present menu items
- Demonstrate safe food and equipment handling skills
- Provide excellent customer service in dining room settings
- Prepare drinks and cocktails accurately and efficiently
- Familiar with safe food handling and sanitation procedures
- Sound knowledge of Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Use cost control techniques for food, beverages and labour
- Knowledge of purchasing, receiving, storage and inventory procedures
- Experience with Point of Sales Cash System
- Computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Food Safety Certificate
- Smart Serve certified
Sample Job TitlesDining Room or Banquet Server, Bartender, Cook, Host/Hostess, Management Trainee, Hotel Front Office Agent
Program CoursesTo see a typical course list for this program, see the current program course information.
Wage DataConestoga College collects data on hourly wages of co-operative education students. See the Schedule and Wage Data for details.
Post a Co-op Job NowSetup an account or login to Conestoga's MyCareer to post a job.
Contact InformationDo you need help developing a recruitment plan or job posting, accessing wage information, or connecting with a talented co-op student? Contact:
Employer Relations Consultant
519-748-5220 ext. 2735