Information Technology Support Services (Optional Co-op)
Program DetailsCredential: 2-Year Ontario College Diploma
This program prepares students for roles in a variety of information technology settings including software support, hardware and software troubleshooting, and training. The strong blend of technical, interpersonal, and business skills in the program is enhanced by in-depth training in a broad range of business, computer and soft-skills courses. The curriculum covers productivity software, business mathematics, technical writing, train-the-trainer techniques, computer hardware, networks, customer support, and customer service.
Student AvailabilityConestoga College facilitates recruitment on an ongoing basis - there are no hard deadlines. Typical time frames for work terms are listed below.
Postings are accepted beginning four months before the start of a term until all students have secured employment provided the minimum 12 consecutive weeks of full-time work is met.
|Year||Fall (Sept. - Dec.)||Winter (Jan. - Apr.)||Spring/Summer (May - Aug.)|
|Year 2||Classes||Work Term||Classes|
Work Term Capabilities
- Troubleshoot and diagnose computer hardware and software problems
- Provide technical support for computer software and hardware
- Provide effective training for users of computer software and hardware and also "train-the-trainer"
- Demonstrate scheduling, task and organizational skills - meeting deadlines to enhance the effective operation of the workplace
- Deploy and use networking equipment and manage user rights on Windows and Linux servers
- Coordinate the use of computer applications to store and manage data, communicate electronically and produce a variety of business documents
- Identify common support tools to provide technical support using the best-suited communications medium
- Research, develop and create reports to substantiate the selection of computer-related resources or services in the workplace
- Communicate clearly, concisely and correctly by selecting written, spoken or visual material that best suits the situation and intended audience
Sample Job TitlesInformation Technology Support Professional, Software Trainer, First-line Helpdesk Staff, Scheduling and Systems Coordinator, Customer Service/Information Technology Coordinator, Technical Support Representative
Program CoursesTo see a typical course list for this program, see the current program course information.
Wage DataConestoga College collects data on hourly wages of co-operative education students. See the Schedule and Wage Data for details.
Post a Co-op Job NowSetup an account or login to Conestoga's MyCareer to post a job.
Contact InformationDo you need help developing a recruitment plan or job posting, accessing wage information, or connecting with talented co-op student? Contact:
Employer Relations Consultant
519-748-5220 ext. 2218