OSAP Changes, Review and Appeal
If you do not think that your OSAP assessment is sufficient to fund your post-secondary education please contact Student Financial Services. We can go through your OSAP assessment with you to see if there are any grounds for review.
Changes to OSAP Application
Once you have submitted your OSAP application online, it takes approximately two business days for the application to show up electronically on our computer systems. Student Financial Services can then view the application and make specific changes to it at your written request. Supporting documentation may be required, depending on the requested change.
Please note we cannot view any estimates OSAP may have given you for funding eligibility. We only see the assessment once the application has been processed by the Ministry.
Notice of Assessment Entitlement Changes
A change on your OSAP application information can increase or decrease your entitlement, even if you have already received your full original entitlement. A number of validation checks, such as income and asset information, can cause a reassessment. You will need to notify the Financial Aid Office throughout your study period if your income changes or if you receive any awards, scholarships, or bursaries. An early withdrawal may also change your eligibility.
Students may request a review by completing an appeal form and submitting it to Student Financial Services. You may file an appeal on the following:
- Change in Status (Married or Common-law)
- Change in Status (Sole-Support Parent or Single Independent Student)
- Update/Add Parental Information
- Change to Study Period or Program
- Living Allowance (Based on your living arrangements; example moving out of your parental home)
- Adjust Income due to Lack of Employment (Update to Income/Pre-Study Income Appeal)
- Lower Estimated Income for Parent(s) (Parental exceptional expenses)
- Lower Estimated Income for Spouse (Spouse exceptional expenses)
Restriction Reviews and Processes
- Credit Check Review
- Academic Probation Review
Requirements: Letter explaining why you were unsuccessful in your previous studies, what steps you will take this year to ensure success, and what your academic and career goals are
- Academic (1 year) Restriction Review
Requirements: Letter explaining why you were unsuccessful in your previous studies, what steps you will take this year to ensure success, and what your academic and career goals are, with a request that your Academic Restriction is removed; a letter from the National Student Loans Service Centre stating that your loans are in good standing; student transcript from your previous studies
- Loan Overpayment Review
Requirements: A copy of your Loan Account Statement showing that you have paid the overpayment back to the National Student Loans Service Centre
- Provincial Restriction
Requirements: Contact the Ontario Collection Management Unit at 1-800-387-5604
- Federal Restriction
Requirements: Contact the National Student Loans Service Centre at 1-888-815-4514
- Residency Review
*Please Note: Students are not eligible for all appeals, and all appeals may not be applicable to you. Please contact Student Financial Services to verify which reviews for which you are eligible.
If the form you require is not listed above, please check the OSAP website.
- Part-time employment - Approximately $109 / week is exempted from the OSAP assessment in part-time earnings during your study period. If you are earning more than that, it may reduce your financial aid. Please also keep us informed of any changes to your income during your study period.
- Earnings - It is very important to keep your OSAP file up-to-date. You can adjust your earnings through the Income Update link on your OSAP account part-way through your study period; or at any time by providing the Financial Aid Office with a letter asking us to adjust your income. Our office would need the amount of your income, the time period for that income, and where that income is coming from (i.e. government funding, employment, scholarships etc.) to confirm the update.
*Please note that not updating your income information can impact your grant funding and future eligibility for OSAP support.
If you are fewer than four years out of high school you are considered a dependent, so the income for your parent(s) is necessary in order to complete the application. OSAP will not let the application be submitted without that information. In the situation that your parent(s) refuse to provide that information to you and/or you are not living with them, OSAP still requires their income to be reported.
If a serious and permanent family breakdown has occurred and you file a Family Breakdown Appeal, you are considered independent for OSAP purposes and no parental information is required.
If you have been out of high school for at least two years and have not attended any post-secondary education, are married, in a common-law relationship, or have children, parental income information is only required for grant eligibility. An expected parental contribution is not calculated towards your OSAP application.
While OSAP does require a contribution for the pre-study period, we can review the level of contribution under certain circumstances. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.
Interaction with other forms of Government Support
If you are in receipt of ODSP support, or if your spouse or common-law partner is in receipt of ODSP support, OSAP will cover only your direct educational costs, including tuition, compulsory fees, books, supplies, equipment and local travel costs. This calculation will be done automatically when you apply for OSAP.
In most cases, if you are receiving support through Ontario Works they will stop providing support and you will be eligible for full OSAP funding. Please talk to your Ontario Works caseworker for more information.
If you are receiving EI, Second Career, or CPP support, you will need to declare it as income on your OSAP application. OSAP can act as a “top-up” in these cases if the OSAP calculation deems that more support is required.