Human Resources Management (Graduate Certificate)
- Ontario College Graduate Certificate
- College Code:
- Business and Hospitality
- Program Code:
- Accelerated Delivery:
- DO, GU, BR
- Academic Year:
- 2015 / 2016
About the Program
In an increasingly complex working environment, the services of a competent human resources professional are highly valued. Thriving organizations employ these practitioners to manage their most important resource: the people who make things happen.
Length: One-year Ontario College Graduate Certificate program (also available part-time)
Brantford - September/2015 (Open) - Fall | Winter
Doon (Kitchener) - September/2015 (Open) - Fall | Winter
Doon (Kitchener) - January/2016 (Open) - Winter | Spring/Summer
Doon (Kitchener) - May/2016 (Open) - Spring/Summer | Fall
Guelph - September/2015 (Open) - Fall | Winter
Location: Doon (Kitchener), Guelph and Brantford
Start: September (Doon-Kitchener, Guelph, Brantford), January (Doon) and May (Doon)
First-Year Capacity: Doon(Kitchener) 50 (Sept), 30 (Jan), 30 (May), Guelph 30, Brantford 30
- Diploma or degree from an accredited college or university
Note re: Admission Requirements
- Applicants possessing degrees/diplomas from institutions where the language of instruction was not English will be required to provide test scores as evidence of their English language proficiency. Test scores, if required, would be a minimum of TOEFL 580 with a TWE of 4.5 or iBT 88; IELTS 6.5 with no bands less than 6.0; CAEL 70 with no sub-test band scores less than 60; CAAT D at 65%; or equivalent scores in other recognized standard tests of English.
- We offer a language program for students whose English language skills are below the standard required for admission but all other admission criteria have been met. An applicant will be eligible for admission to the graduate certificate program after completion of level 4 of the General Arts and Science - English Language Studies (ELS) program with an overall grade average of 80% and no grade less than 75%. Placement in the ELS program is determined by scores on an in-house English language test or TOEFL or IELTS.
- Final selection is made following a review of post-secondary background.
- Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet and internet browser software in a Windows environment is recommended.
- Students will require access to a computer equipped with internet access and a Windows environment, including word processing, spreadsheet, and internet browser software.
- Delivered during the day with supplemental materials provided. Mandatory group work required. Note: Students must be self-directed learners.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition: Please refer to the previous academic year program fee chart for an approximation as fees for the next academic year are unavailable at this time.
*Fees are higher for international students on a Student Visa. Please refer to the international program fee chart for an approximation as fees for the next academic year are unavailable at this time.
*Books and supplies are additional.
Financial AssistanceThe Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a needs-based program designed to help Ontario students cover the cost of post-secondary education. Funded by the federal and provincial governments, OSAP is intended to promote equality of opportunity for post-secondary studies through direct financial assistance for educational costs and living expenses. These interest-free loans are intended to supplement your financial resources and those of your family. The majority of students apply for loan assistance via the OSAP website. Students can also print the application booklet through the OSAP website.
For more information, please visit Financial Services/Awards.
Graduate OpportunitiesGraduates are prepared for entry to mid-level management positions with human resource departments, community organizations, private practices, learning institutions, government departments and consulting firms.
66% of 2012-2013 graduates found employment within 6 months of graduation. Their average starting salary was $36,499.
For more details on related occupations, job market information and career opportunities, see the Government of Canada website: http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca
Pathways & Credit Transfer
Conestoga pathways enable students to build on their academic achievements in order to earn a degree or additional credential. Pathways are formed through agreements between Conestoga programs or partner institutions. View the transfer agreement opportunities for this program.
Often applicants have earned credits from another college or university that may allow a student to be granted advanced standing or exemption. Learn more about credit transfer opportunities at Conestoga.
Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)
Conestoga recognizes prior learning of skills, knowledge or competencies that have been acquired through employment, formal and informal education, non-formal learning or other life experiences. Prior learning must be measurable at the required academic level and meet Conestoga standards of achievement for current courses. Challenge exams and portfolio development are the primary methods of assessment. Other methods of assessment may be available depending upon the nature of the course objectives. Successful completion of the assessment results in an official course credit that will be recorded on the student's Conestoga transcript. PLAR cannot be used by registered Conestoga students for the clearance of academic deficiencies, to improve grades or to obtain admission into a program.
For more information on the PLAR process, please visit the testing website.
- Facilitate and communicate the human resources component of the organization's business plan.
- Contribute to the development, implementation, and evaluation of employee recruitment, selection, and retention plans and processes.
- Administer and contribute to the design and evaluation of the performance management program.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate employee orientation, training, and development programs.
- Facilitate and support effective employee and labour relations in both non-union and union environments.
- Research and support the development and communication of the organization's total compensation plan.
- Collaborate with others, in the development, implementation, and evaluation of organizational health and safety policies and practices.
- Research and analyze information needs and apply current and emerging information technologies to support the human resources function.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate organizational development strategies aimed at promoting organizational effectiveness.
- Present and evaluate communication messages and processes related to the human resources function of the organization.
- Manage own professional development and provide leadership to others in the achievement of ongoing competence in human resources professional practice.
- Conduct research, produce reports, and recommend changes in human resources practices.
Program Advisory CommitteesThe College appoints Program Advisory Committee members for diploma, degree, certificate and apprenticeship programs. Committees are composed of employers, practitioners and recent program graduates. College representatives (students, faculty, and administrators) are resource persons. Each committee advises the Board on the development of new programs, the monitoring of existing programs and community acceptance of programs.
For a list of the current members, please visit our Program Advisory Committees.
Apply NowDomestic students should apply online at www.ontariocolleges.ca or by phone at 1-888-892-2228.
60 Corporate Court
Canada N1G 5J3
Detailed steps on the application process may help you to apply.
International students should apply online using a Conestoga College International Application Form. Please note: not all programs are open to international students. Interested students should check the listing of open programs on our international students web page before applying.
For program information, call the Information Centre at 519-748-5220 ext 3656.