Respect Committee Task Force
In winter 2008, a cross-college group of students, Conestoga Student Inc., and College employees were invited to participate on a committee to develop the strategy for the Respect Campaign.
The scope of the Respect Campaign Committee's work encompassed the following: determining the need for the campaign on the College campus, defining the word "respect" and the Campaign's message, creating an organizational analysis and situational analysis, determining the target audiences for the campaign, developing Campaign objectives, brainstorming communication tactics, and lastly, creating the tagline for the "feel" of the campaign.
The membership for the Respect Campaign Committee was designed to represent a cross-sector of various college departments and services, along with college programs that touch on respect and diversity in their program, Conestoga Students Inc. and students from diverse backgrounds.
The Committee was comprised of College staff, faculty and students who provide feedback towards the development and evaluation of the Campaign. By having a committee so vast in size, it provided a great opportunity for members that represent such an array in differences of opinion to come together to sculpt a common definition and direction for what Respect looks like at Conestoga.
The Respect Campaign Committee membership included:
- Shawna Bernard (Counsellor, Counselling Services)
- Walter Boettger (President, OPSEU 237 Faculty Union)
- Radha Charran (International Student)
- Ryan Connell (Student Life Programmer, Student Life)
- Elissa Cressman (Student Life Programmer, Student Life)
- Debashis Dutta (Program Coordinator, Human Services Foundations program)
- Christopher Graves (General Manager, Conestoga Students Inc.)
- Carol Gregory (Director, Student Development)
- Fran Gregory (Program Coordinator, Public Relations)
- Gary Hallam (Program Chair, Waterloo Campus)
- Jessica Harrison (Student Life Coordinator)
- David Martin (Student)
- Charlie Matjanec (Employment Advisor, Disability Services)
- Barry Milner (Manager, Physical Resources)
- Samantha Murray (Manager & Student Advisor, International Office)
- Lisa Nequest (President, OPSEU 238 Support Staff Union)
- Kelly Nixon (Counsellor, Disability Services & Counsellor for Aboriginal Students)
- Shelley Schenk (Manager, Human Resources)
- Sheena Sonser (President, Conestoga Students Inc.)
- Stephen Speers (Program Chair, Guelph Campus)
- Jennifer Watson (Vice President, Conestoga Students Inc.)
- John Tribe (Directory, Safety & Security Services)
- Nicole Woodruff (Residence Life Coordinator, Residence)
Through the several meetings that took place throughout the winter 2008 semester, the Respect Campaign Committee was able to agree that the Campaign is a powerful opportunity to reinforce the good behaviour that is already prevalent in the Conestoga College community, and can serve as a platform to provide more tools for development and growth with regards to respectful behaviours.
The Committee met one final time in September 2008 to unveil the “Respect: Understanding our Students” video and to share thanks for all members for their participation in the development of the Respect Campaign’s message.