Celebrating Cultural Diversity
One goal of the Student Life Department is to foster a welcoming and inclusive community at Conestoga College; an environment where students feel like they belong. With this in mind, it is important for our campus community to celebrate and embrace the vast amount of cultural diversity on campus!
In partnership with academic programs and other service departments, the Student Life Department helps to lead Celebrating Cultural Diversity Week in November and February each semester.
The Student Life Department engages a number of classes through CSL for Celebrating Cultural Diversity Week, including the English Language Studies program as part of their “Student Success for Higher Learning” Liberal Studies course, and the International Business Management program, as part of their “World Cultures” Liberal Studies course. In the second semester, degree students can also choose “World Cultures” as an elective and thereby participate in CSL.
As an interdisciplinary CSL at the Doon Campus, International Business Management students have also been partnered with students from the English Language Studies (ELS) program to provide them with a hands-on opportunity to learn about world cultures directly from international and New Canadian students. For ELS students, it is an opportunity to meet other Canadian students while practicing their oral and written skills.
At the Waterloo Campus, ELS students are given the chance to practice these same skills while also learning how to plan, organize and promote the CSL in the process.
By applying the students' course learning objectives to a practical, experiential exercise, Conestoga College is able to celebrate the vast student diversity on our campuses and reinforce a respectful, welcoming and inclusive campus community in the process.
Celebrating Cultural Diversity Week
November 12-15, 2013
Conestoga College proudly celebrates cultural diversity, and we welcome you to join us!
At Doon Campus: Throughout the week, many campus service areas and students from a variety of College programs will be joining together in partnership with the Student Life Department to celebrate our multicultural community.
There will be activities at Waterloo Campus on Tuesday November 12.
There will be activities at Cambridge Campus on Wednesday November 13.
There will be activities at Guelph Campus on Thursday November 14.
Students Involved Through Campus Service Learning Activities
- Accounting, Audit and IT Degree Program
- English Language Studies Program
- Various Elective Courses
(These student groups will have interactive displays in the Student Life Center)
Campus Service Area Activities at Doon Campus
All week, a number of campus service areas will be involved in celebrating cultural diversity at Conestoga. Be sure to visit each area and get involved in the activities they have to offer!
- The Bookstore will be playing cultural music all week, hosting a greeting wall where you can write a greeting in another language, and will be testing your knowledge on world flags for the chance to win a prize.
- Coop and Career Services in SCSB are having a "How the World Works" Activity: 3 - 5 Trivia questions posted each day on our bulletin board with an opportunity for team members to write down their thoughts and answers. Correct answers will be provided to everyone at the ending of the week where the "winner" will be revealed as well.
- Conestoga Students Inc. will be hosting a World Map outside their office. Drop by to see what other activities are offered in front of their office!
- Counselling Services will be featuring a display of supportive cultural brochures and pamphlets.
- Safety & Security welcomes you with a "Welcome to Security" sign in several different languages and invites you to play a Matching Game.
- The Learning Commons team will celebrate and share their cultural backgrounds in a staff profiles showcase. Students are encouraged to participate in a scavenger hunt based on our displays for a chance to win a prize! The Writing Service will highlight borrowed words commonly used in English and their origins. The Math Service will profile famous mathematicians and math games from around the world. Pop by our space at the Doon or Cambridge campus to give one of the games a try!
- The Library Resource Centre will have a "countries and their cultures" book display, daily interactive trivia and staff will be wearing their respective heritage country flag, flower or other relevant symbol.
- The International Education Office will be translating names into other languages, playing cultural music, handing out international candies, offering a world map for others to identify their origins and Spin to Win Trivia.
- The Student Life Department will be hosting an interactive flipchart activity at the Student Life Centre Information Desk. The staff will also have some interesting cultural facts posted in the main Student Life Office.
Please join us as we proudly celebrate Cultural Diversity!