Individual Credit Transfers

The credit transfer process begins once you have confirmed your acceptance into a Conestoga program. Individual credit transfers may be requested if you believe you have previously completed an equivalent course (or more) at Conestoga or another post-secondary institution.

If you are transferring within Conestoga, courses with the same codes and names will automatically transfer over. Once you are enrolled in your new program, please go to your Student Portal>My Courses>View Progress Report button to see what transferred automatically.

To request a credit transfer, please complete the following three steps:

  1. Go to the Student Portal > My Courses > My Credit Transfer and follow the instructions to submit your request.
  2. You will upload the course outline(s) for the courses you previously completed and are using as the basis for exemption.
    Note: Course outlines include: course title, number/code, description, learning objectives, topics covered, textbook(s) used, assignments, evaluation scheme, etc. The outline should reflect the semester in which you successfully completed the course (i.e., same academic year).
  3. Send (do not upload) an official transcript from your previous post-secondary institution(s). 
    Note: Transcripts must be submitted by mail or in person in the original sealed envelope from the source institution. Opened copies, as well as those that have been photocopied/printed/scanned, cannot be accepted.
    International transcripts must be formally assessed by an agency like ICAS or WES. We require the official course-by-course assessment report in a sealed envelope.

Need help? Watch the Credit Transfer Request - Instructions video.

You can track the progress of your credit transfer request on the Student Portal, so remember to check it regularly for information.

If you do not have an official sealed transcript (as described above), please request your previous institution(s) to mail one to:

Attn: Credit Transfer Office
Conestoga College ITAL
Office of the Registrar
299 Doon Valley Drive
Kitchener, ON N2G 4M4

Requests are forwarded to the Academic Team for review and students are notified of the decision(s) through their Conestoga email account. It is highly recommended that students submit credit transfer requests before the start of a semester.

Transferring credits may result in a part-time status which may affect OSAP funding or international student status. Full-time student fees are not affected unless a student drops to part-time status. Requests must be made before the refund deadline to be eligible for any possible tuition refund.

If you have not completed courses at a recognized post-secondary institution but have significant life and/or work experience and wish to earn credits towards a credential, the Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) process may be an option for you.

Please review the Credit Transfer Policy.