Course-based registration allows you to build your timetable by selecting preferred course sections (day/time/faculty).
Schedule Builder is an online self-serve tool to assist you in planning your timetable. It allows you to graphically view schedule options, choose desired courses, save a preference, and eventually create a timetable based on the courses and times that work best for you. The schedule builder arranges selected courses into conflict-free timetable options and displays them in an easy-to-read weekly schedule.
How to build your schedule
The following information is for students in business programs at the Doon campus, including two-year or three-year business diploma, business fundamentals, office administration, health office administration and medical office practice programs. For a complete list of programs using course-based registration, visit Fall 2018 registration/Enrolment Information.
Using Schedule Builder
Follow the 1-2-3 steps:
1. Plan your schedule
Beginning July 30, 2018, if you have paid your fees or have made a payment arrangement through the registrar’s office, you can access Schedule Builder through the Student Portal, and start planning your timetable.
Course registration opens August 7, 2018. In order to register for courses, your fees must be paid or you must have made a payment arrangement through the registrar's office. Refer to the schedule below to determine when you can begin registration.
Tuesday, August 7
- 9 a.m. – 2 p.m., Year 3 students
- 2 p.m. onward, Year 2 students
Wednesday, August 8
- 9 a.m. onward, Year 1 students
Log in to the Student Portal, go to 'My Courses' and review your progress report.
- The progress report is a reflection of your academic progress based on your program of study. Review your progress report for outstanding courses (missed/failed) and general education/program electives required to complete your program.
2. Create your schedule
Go to the 'Add Course/Choose Elective using Schedule Builder' button from your 'My Courses' screen:
- Review and read the information presented to you under the 'SELECT COURSES' panel of the screen. The plan presented has been imported from the current level of your program of study.
- delete a course by clicking on the 'X' in the top corner of the course box.
- change a course by clicking on the 'drop down arrow under the word Select and choosing another course' section.
- pin a preferred course in order to build your schedule. The balance of your schedule will work around the pinned course(s).
- start over by clicking 'Restart from Plan.'
If registration is not open, you may save your planned schedule by clicking 'Add to favourites.' Note: You are not yet enrolled in the courses. You must return and complete your registration when registration opens.
3. Confirm your courses
Keep in mind that selecting courses using Schedule Builder allows you to create your personalized schedule. You are not enrolled in the courses until you have completed all steps of the process.
To enrol in your courses, you must:
- select the schedule by clicking 'Get this schedule' and enrolling in the courses as noted in the 'Action' column (to enrol in all courses at once go to the bottom of the 'Action' column and enter 'Do actions')
- wait for results to be posted and return to the 'Results' screen by clicking 'Return to SELECT COURSES'
You will be presented with the courses that you are enrolled in - all have been pinned. (To unpin a course, click on the pin wherever located on the screen.) If you wish to make a course change, follow the instructions at the beginning. You may verify your enrolment and timetable through the Student Portal under the 'My Courses/My Timetable' tab.
Tips and hints for using Schedule Builder:
- It is recommended that you select courses based on your current level program of study as noted on your progress report.
- If you have failed or missed courses from previous semesters, you may want to register for them first. If you need academic advice, meet with your program coordinator.
- Enrol as soon as you can after choosing your timetable. The 'full/not full' information updates continuously as students register.
- The application is mobile-friendly should you wish to use your smart phone or tablet.
- There is a screen reader-friendly accessibility view available.
Narrowing down your results
There are simple ways to narrow your results and find your best schedule:
- Pin your favourite class choices by clicking on the desired class in the grid (you will see a pin appear on the course). This prioritizes that specific class in your schedule and arranges your other schedule options around it. When all your courses are pinned, the number of generated results will be reduced to one and your desired timetable will be achieved. To remove the pin, just click on the course again.
- Use the filters located in the top right corner of the 'Results' panel to narrow your selection by full classes, online classes and/or on-campus classes.
- Sort preference options to prioritize your choices. Use the 'Sort preference options' listed in the drop-down menu in the top right-hand corner of the 'Results' panel. You can sort your classes by the following criteria: most days off, morning classes, mid-day classes, time off campus and most on-campus time.
- Mark your personal time. Another unique feature of Schedule Builder is that it gives you the ability to mark your personal time when you would prefer not to have classes. You can do this by clicking and dragging in the timetable grid. Schedule Builder will first show you schedules that avoid these times.
- Select sections from the drop-down menu within each course in the 'SELECT COURSES' panel.
Browsing through your results
To browse through your generated schedules, you can use either the arrow keys on the page, or the arrow keys on your keyboard (saves you time when you review results). When you hold down the arrow key, it will speed scroll through the different options.
If you select a course that creates a conflict with the courses you have already pinned, the number of your results will automatically get reduced to zero and the system will display the following message: 'No Results. There are no conflict-free schedule combinations with the selected courses.' Also, in the 'SELECT COURSES' panel, the message 'All classes of this course conflict with all classes of X' will show up for all conflicted courses. A small exclamation mark icon precedes this warning.
- To resolve conflicts, first pin your core (major) courses and then try to add the other (e.g. general education) courses to your schedule.
- A different warning message will pop up when you are trying to select two courses that have no classes with open seats that do not conflict with each other. In this instance, Schedule Builder still displays all schedule combinations with the message: 'Warning: Not all classes selected above have seats available.'
- Select periods and sections from the drop-down menu within each course in the 'SELECT COURSES' panel.
Sharing your schedule with others
Sharing your schedule will allow you to send your schedule to another recipient.
- Click on the 'Create Share Link' above the course detail list.
- A text box will appear with a personalized link.
- Copy and paste this link to an email or document for later use.