Conestoga College Logo - Home Page

Pre-Practicum Health & Safety Requirements Form FAQs

You are taking the first steps to becoming a professional through your program in the School of Health & Life Sciences and Community Services at Conestoga College!

Realizing your vision of having a high performing career in the health and community services field requires that you start your program having met the same safety and health requirements that are mandatory for new employees in your field. The practicum health and safety requirements that are mandatory for your program can be found under the Practicum Forms tab within the myConestoga Practicum Services community.

As a future professional in your chosen career, you may need to be able to demonstrate that:

  1. You have a clear police check for vulnerable persons. This is the first implication for you of provincial regulations governing work in health care and community service organizations.
  2. Your immunizations are current for your safety and the safety of people in your care.
  3. Your TB status is known and allows you to work safely with others and that you will have baseline information for yourself should you encounter a person with TB in the workplace.
  4. You have a current First Aid and CPR certificate (at the level appropriate to your career), so that you can be a resource to persons in need.
  5. You have been Mask Fit tested so that you will be ready to work safely in the event of an infectious situation (if applicable).

Your program includes a practicum experience early in your course of studies; employers request that you have met the above requirements before you come to their organization.

Most importantly, your plan to be a graduate and embark on your chosen career depends on completing this practicum - we do not want these plans to end because you failed to meet the above requirements!

  1. Why do I need a Health Passport?
    • The Health Passport is proof to the College and practicum employers that you have met the pre-placement health and safety requirements.
    • This document ensures that you have met the safety and health requirements expected of individuals providing care or service in each organization.
    • You may be asked to show your Health Passport to a practicum site as proof of having met their requirements.

  2. What happens if I cannot go to field/clinical placement?
    • If you cannot complete the field placement course(s) of your program, you will not be able to graduate from the program.

  3. When does the Health Passport need to be completed?
    • Each program has a specific due date to allow for processing prior to placement; your requirements due date is indicated in your package and on the forms applicable to the program.
    • You must start completing your program specific practicum health and safety requirements as soon as you receive your package as it may take you 6-12 weeks to complete.

  4. As a student, what are my responsibilities?
    • Refer to the requirements package that was either mailed to you (new students) or distributed to you during class (returning students).
    • Make arrangements to complete requirements based on Forms A, B, C, D, E (with your doctor or health care professional, or other service providers).
    • Photocopy all supporting documentation (keep originals for your records).
    • As you complete a Form requirement, submit all photocopied documentation attached to the applicable form to the Customer Service drop box located in the Cowan Health Sciences Center. Note: We strongly encourage you to submit forms as they are completed (rather than 1 package) to allow ample time for review and follow up as needed.

  5. How do I obtain a Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check (Form A)?
    • Visit your local police service and request a "Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check" prior to the pre-practicum requirements deadline for your program. There is a cost associated with this service and that is the responsibility of the student. Note: This request can take up to 12 weeks.
    • If you live in an area that is serviced by the OPP or RCMP, please contact Practicum Services in the Cowan Health Sciences Centre for the required forms ( or 519-748-5220 ext. 3101).
    • For Niagara Police Services, please contact Practicum Services for the required form.
    • For Toronto Police Services, you will require the Toronto Consent to Disclosure form; please contact Practicum Services for the required form.
    • If your security clearance is clear, attach a copy of the police check to Form A and submit to the Customer Service drop box located in the Cowan Health Sciences Centre.
    • To be eligible for field/clinical placement, you must not have been convicted of any criminal offence for which you have not been pardoned. If your police check is “not clear” due to an offence that is criminal in nature, you are advised to meet with the Program Chair for academic counselling to determine program suitability and practicum eligibility. Offences under the Criminal Code and the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act of Canada:

  6. Regarding health requirements, what could I be asked for?

    Depending on your specific program health requirements, you may be asked for proof of immunization, laboratory blood test results and non-medical requirements below: (if applicable)

    • Measles/mumps/rubella (MMR)
    • Varicella/chickenpox
    • Hepatitis B
    • Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis (Tdap)
    • Tuberculin Testing (TB)
    • Influenza vaccine
    • Mask fit testing
    • Please bring your Immunization form (Form B) with you when you get your vaccinations so that your physician/health care professional can sign off on the form directly.

    Your program may also have a requirement for a current certification in CPR/First Aid.

    • Standard First Aid
    • CPR level C or HCP (depending on program of study)

    Provincially, with the concerns of a potential pandemic, the workforce in health care organizations or persons who are providing care are required to complete Mask fit testing.

  7. How long will it take me to complete the pre-practicum health forms (Forms A, B, C, D, E)?
    • If laboratory reports are required or if immunizations are not complete, it could take 6-12 weeks.
    • Note: The RCMP has also set new mandates that can possibly prolong your wait time in receiving your criminal reference check. If your Date of Birth and Gender match another individual in the Sex Offender Database, your fingerprints will be required to complete your check. If flagged it will take up to 120 days to receive your Vulnerable Sector Check. There will also be an extra cost charged by the police agency to obtain fingerprints.

  8. Tuberculin testing (Form C)
    • You are encouraged to get your 2-step TB test before your arrival. This may be done at Conestoga or through your local health unit by phoning and making an appointment with them. Please note: the TB test cannot be done for 30 days after a Measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) shot.
    • Please bring your Immunization form (Form B) with you when you get your TB test so that your health care professional can sign off on the form directly..

  9. If required, where can I take the required Standard First Aid and CPR level course(s)?
    • Depending on the course you are entering you may be asked to complete Standard First Aid and CPR training. Each course may ask for a different type of CPR (such as CPR level C or CPR for HCP). It is important that you sign up for the correct course required for your program.
    • There are different organizations or providers who offer CPR such as Heart and Stroke Foundation, St. John Ambulance and Red Cross. As long as it has been completed in Canada and the provider complies with the current guidelines outlined by the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada, it will be accepted. However, the CPR course must be completed according to the program requirements i.e. CPR level C or CPR for HCP.

  10. Does Conestoga College offer Standard First Aid and CPR course(s)?
    • Yes, Conestoga College offers a student discounted rate for Standard First Aid and CPR through Red Cross. To receive the student discounted rate you must complete the part-time registration form for course HEAL1400, HEAL1410 or HEAL1420. If you register online through the Student Portal you will not be eligible to receive the student discount.

  11. When are Standard First Aid and CPR course(s) offered through Conestoga College?
    • Please visit the Part-time Studies website for the current Standard First Aid and CPR dates. Please note that there are three different course codes (HEAL1400, HEAL1410 and HEAL1420) depending on your current requirements (certification versus recertification). Please note, depending on the course you require it can take 5 to 20 hours to complete the course.

  12. How do I register and where do I submit the registration forms?
    • Part-time registration forms can be located by accessing the Part-time Studies registration information web page.
    • Part-time registration forms and payment can be placed in the drop box located outside the doors of the Welcome Centre, by the visitor’s parking lot. The Registration Office checks the drop box every morning. Manual registrations are processed daily and students are emailed once the transaction is complete.
    • Part time registration forms can also be mailed or faxed to:
      Registrar’s office, CE Registration, Conestoga College, Welcome Centre, 299 Doon Valley Drive, Kitchener Ontario, N2G 4M4 or Fax 519-895-1085
    • Please email if you have any further questions.

  13. If required, where can I have my Mask Fit testing done?
    • Once your Program Coordinator has advised you of your clinical placement, you will need to arrange to be fit tested. Please refer to the Mask Fit Testing information form (located within the Practicum Forms tab) for additional information, or contact Please note that mask fit testing is only required if you are attending a hospital for placement.

  14. Why do my health forms need to be reviewed by Conestoga College’s Practicum Nurse?
    • Conestoga College's Practicum Nurse reviews your confidential medical and non-medical information and then gives notification of your clearance status to your Program Coordinator for placement requirements. The Practicum Nurse can answer any questions you may have about the health requirements/testing, as well as provide direction when medical requirements results are unclear. Practicum Services will only release a "clear" or "not clear" status to Conestoga College and all other information will be kept confidential.

  15. Where do I submit the pre-practicum health forms (Forms A, B, C, D) and documents when finished?
    • Submit all photocopied documentation attached to required forms (Form A, B, C, D, E) to the Customer Service drop box located in the Cowan Health Sciences Center by the specified program deadline date. The Customer Service drop box is available between the hours of 0800-1600 Monday to Friday (Summer hours: 0900-1400). Our Practicum Nurse is available for appointments until 1700 if required.

  16. Who pays for the health form costs?
    • The cost of completing the requirements is the responsibility of the student entering the program.

  17. How much will this cost me?
    • Costs will be dependent upon each student's needs. Doctor notes, x-rays, laboratory blood work report and immunization may be free of charge or a charge applied by your doctor's office; this is up to your doctor and NOT the College.
    • Your invoice from Conestoga College will contain a fee for the services provided by the School to certify that you have met these requirements and to provide you with a “Health Passport” for your records.

  18. What happens if some information on my forms is missing?
    • You will be required to complete the missing information and resubmit documents prior to practicum placement.

  19. What happens when my practicum health forms are "cleared"?
    • Your Program Coordinator will be notified as to your cleared status and will notify and assign students to their field/clinical placement.

  20. I have misplaced my Practicum Package. Where can I get one?
    • The practicum requirements for your program are accessible through the Practicum Forms tab within the myConestoga Practicum Services community. Please contact the Customer Service Desk at or extension 2544 for assistance with logging into the community.
Back To Top