Remember to confirm your invoice. You will only have access to Schedule Builder if you have:
- confirmed your invoice, and
- paid your fees or have completed a Payment Schedule online through the Student Portal.
Course-based registration allows you to build your timetable by selecting preferred course sections (day/time/faculty).
Schedule Builder is an online, self-serve tool to assist you in planning your timetable. It allows you to view schedule options, choose desired courses, save preferences and create a timetable based on the courses and times that work best for you. The schedule builder arranges selected courses into conflict-free timetable options and displays them in an easy-to-read weekly schedule.
How to build your schedule
The following information is for students in business programs at the Kitchener - Doon campus, including two-year or three-year business diploma, business fundamentals, office administration, health office administration and medical office practice programs. For a complete list of programs using course-based registration, visit Winter 2021 Registration/Enrolment Information.
Using Schedule Builder
Beginning December 10, 2020, if you have paid your fees or have completed a Payment Schedule online through the Student Portal, you can access Schedule Builder through the Student Portal, and start planning your timetable.
Course registration opens December 14, 2020. In order to register for courses, your fees must be paid or you must have completed a Payment Schedule online through the Student Portal. Refer to the schedule below to determine when you can begin registration.
Monday, December 14
- 9:00 a.m. onward: Year 3 students
- 4:00 p.m. onward: Year 2 students
Tuesday, December 15
- 9:00 a.m. onward, Year 1 students
Log into the Student Portal, select 'My Courses' and review your progress report.
- Be sure that you sign in to Schedule Builder with your user ID (e.g., jsmith4567). You will see your name on the screen when you have signed in to Schedule Builder.
- The progress report is a reflection of your academic progress based on your program of study. Review your progress report for outstanding courses (missed/failed) and general education/program electives required to complete your program.
Select the 'Add Course/Choose Elective using Schedule Builder' button from your 'My Courses' screen:
- Review the information under the 'SELECT COURSES' panel of the screen. The plan presented has been imported from the current level of your program of study.
- Delete a course by clicking on the 'X' in the top corner of the course box.
- Change a course by clicking on the drop-down arrow under the word 'Select' and choosing another course section.
- Pin a preferred course in order to build your schedule. The balance of your schedule will work around the pinned course(s).
- Start over by clicking 'Restart from Plan.'
If registration is not open, you may save your planned schedule by clicking 'Add to favourites.' Note: You are not yet enrolled in the courses. You must return and complete your registration when registration opens.
Selecting courses using Schedule Builder allows you to create your personalized schedule. You are not enrolled in the courses until you have completed all steps of the process.
To enrol in your courses, you must:
- select the schedule by clicking 'Get this schedule' and enrolling in the courses as noted in the 'Action' column (to enrol in all courses at once go to the bottom of the 'Action' column and enter 'Do actions'), and
- wait for results to be posted and return to the 'Results' screen by clicking 'Return to SELECT COURSES'.
You will be presented with the courses that you are enrolled in - all courses that have been pinned. To unpin a course, click on the pin wherever located on the screen. If you wish to make a course change, follow the instructions at the beginning. You may verify your enrolment and timetable through the Student Portal under the 'My Courses/My Timetable' tab.
Tips and hints for using Schedule Builder:
- It is recommended that you select courses based on your current level program of study as noted on your progress report.
- If you have failed or missed courses from previous semesters, register for these courses first. If you need academic advice, meet with your program coordinator.
- Enrol as soon as you can after choosing your timetable. The 'full/not full' information updates continuously as students register.
- The application is mobile-friendly.
- There is a screen reader-friendly accessibility view available.
Narrowing down your results
There are simple ways to narrow your results and find your best schedule:
- Pin your favourite class choices by clicking on the desired class in the grid (you will see a pin appear on the course). This prioritizes that specific class in your schedule and arranges your other schedule options around it. When all your courses are pinned, the number of generated results will be reduced to one and your desired timetable will be achieved. To remove the pin, just click on the course again.
- Use the filters located in the top right corner of the 'Results' panel to narrow your selection by full classes, online classes and/or on-campus classes.
- Sort preference options to prioritize your choices. Use the 'Sort preference options' listed in the drop-down menu in the top right-hand corner of the 'Results' panel. You can sort your classes by the following criteria: most days off, morning classes, mid-day classes, time off campus and most on-campus time.
- Mark your personal time. Another unique feature of Schedule Builder is that it gives you the ability to mark your personal time when you would prefer not to have classes. You can do this by clicking and dragging in the timetable grid. Schedule Builder will first show you schedules that avoid these times.
- Select sections from the drop-down menu within each course in the 'SELECT COURSES' panel.
Browsing through your results
To browse through your generated schedules, you can use the arrow keys on the page, or the arrow keys on your keyboard. When you hold down the arrow key, it will speed scroll through the different options.
If you select a course that creates a conflict with the courses you have already pinned, the number of your results will automatically get reduced to zero and the system will display the following message: 'No Results. There are no conflict-free schedule combinations with the selected courses.' Also, in the 'SELECT COURSES' panel, the message 'All classes of this course conflict with all classes of X' will show up for all conflicted courses. An exclamation mark icon precedes this warning.
- To resolve conflicts, first pin your core (major) courses and then try to add the other (e.g. general education) courses to your schedule.
- A different warning message will pop up when you are trying to select two courses that have no classes with open seats that do not conflict with each other. In this instance, Schedule Builder still displays all schedule combinations with the message: 'Warning: Not all classes selected above have seats available.'
Select periods and sections from the drop-down menu within each course in the 'SELECT COURSES' panel.
Sharing your schedule with others
Sharing your schedule will allow you to send your schedule to another recipient.
- Click on the 'Create Share Link' above the course detail list.
- A text box will appear with a personalized link.
- Copy and paste this link to an email or document for later use.
Course-based registration is a process that allows you to build your timetable by selecting preferred course sections (day/time/faculty).
It is an online, self-serve tool that assists in planning your timetable. It allows you to graphically view schedule options, choose desired courses, save preferences, and create a timetable based on the courses and times that work best for you. Schedule Builder arranges selected courses into conflict-free, timetable options and displays them in an easy-to-read weekly schedule.
Schedule Builder is for students at the Kitchener - Doon campus in the following business programs:
- Business Administration - Accounting
- Business Administration - Financial Planning
- Business Administration - Management
- Business Administration - Marketing
- Business Administration - Marketing (Co-op)
- Business Administration - Supply Chain & Operations Management
- Business Administration - Supply Chain & Operations Management (Co-op)
- Business - Finance
- Business - Marketing
- Business - Purchasing
- Business Fundamentals
- Global Business Management
- Health Office Administration
- Insurance - Property & Casualty
- Insurance - Property & Casualty (Co-op)
- Medical Office Practices
- Office Administration - Executive
- Office Administration - General
- Office Administration - Legal
- Project Management
Log into the Student Portal and go to the 'My Courses' tab. Select the 'Add Course/Choose Elective' button.
Select 'Progress Report' under the 'My Courses' tab through the Student Portal and review the courses required for your program/level.
The enrolment form represents the courses (course name code/credits/hours) in which you are registered for a given level of a given semester. It also includes your student number and network ID once registration has been completed. Your timetable and enrolment form should include the same courses.
Yes, register for electives through the 'Add Course/Choose Elective using Schedule Builder'.
Ensure you review your progress report for outstanding courses (missed/failed) and general education/program electives required to complete your program.
If the course section you are attempting to register in is full, choose another section. Remember to check back at a later time to see if your preferred section has space.
If all sections of the course are full and you are required to have the course, email email@example.com. Do not email this address if there is room in another section.
- Verify the course number is correct and try again.
- If a course is not offered in the semester, no schedule will appear. Not all courses are offered each semester.
- Meet with your program coordinator or email firstname.lastname@example.org for clarification.
- Registration is available for those students who have paid their fees in full by their due date or have completed a Payment Schedule online through the Student Portal.
- You must also confirm your invoice through your ‘Financial’ tab, ‘My Invoice’ sub-tab. Further information on student fees and how to confirm your invoice is available here.
- To confirm your financial status, select the 'Financial' tab on the Student Portal.
- The number of courses listed on your progress report for the current level is the maximum number of courses (credits and hours) you may enrol in without incurring additional fees. It is your responsibility to check your progress report and financial information on a regular basis to ensure your information is accurate.
- If you have questions regarding the fees associated with your course selection, email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
After you have completed all the registration steps, you may check your timetable by going to 'Calendar' and then 'My Timetable'.
- Verify your course selections, as your timetable reflects the courses you are enrolled in.
If there is an error or you wish to make a change, go back to 'Add Course/Choose Elective using Schedule Builder' and make your revisions. Select the 'Enrolment Form' table under 'My Courses' or "Progress Report' tab.
- Your progress report will provide you with the courses that are planned for your program and level. It reflects the grades for the courses within your program of study.
- Your achievement report reflects all completed courses taken at Conestoga.
The courses presented in the 'SELECT COURSES' panel are imported from your program of study. It does not recognize a course prerequisite at this stage in the process. If you attempt to register for a course where the prerequisite has not been met, you will not be able to complete the registration.
When using Schedule Builder, you can only register for courses available through your program of study.
Students who paid full-time fees and have dropped to part-time status may be eligible for a refund. Refunds will not be processed until after January 29, 2021. Processing can take up to three or four weeks.
- Students in receipt of OSAP will have funds directed to the National Student Loan Centre for payment on their OSAP loan. All other refunds are redirected to the student.
Yes, dropping to part-time status after you have received your funds will impact your OSAP. Please contact Student Financial Services at email@example.com to review your situation.
The last date for adding courses for the winter term is January 26, 2021, unless otherwise stated.
You will be removed from all courses (including electives) and will need to start your course registration process again.
You may be in guest mode. Log in using the button on the top right corner of Schedule Builder. If you see your name, you are logged in and will be able to save to your favourites.
No, you cannot withdraw from your program by dropping courses through Schedule Builder. You must complete the Withdrawal Form in the Student Portal found under the "Services" tab, "My Forms" sub-tab and submit your request electronically. For more information, refer to General withdrawal and refund information.
If you need a course that was not presented to you through Schedule Builder, you can search for the course by entering the course code in the ‘Search’ field.
Remember, not all courses are offered each semester.