Computer Programmer/Analyst (Optional Co-op)
Program DetailsCredential: 3-Year Ontario College Advanced Diploma
This three-year program prepares students to function effectively as computer programmer/analysts in a business-oriented, information-processing environment, including financial services, manufacturing and public sector organizations. Major emphasis is placed on problem-solving skills using a variety of computer languages. Programming courses prepare students to develop business applications and interactive websites that utilize and update databases. An object-oriented approach to systems development is emphasized. Advanced topics cover eCommerce application development, distributed applications using industrial strength relational databases, project management, and network topology.
Throughout the program, effective communications, the use of current technology, and attention to standards and documentation are emphasized. The student's general business knowledge is supported by courses in mathematics, accounting, and organizational behavior.
Student AvailabilityConestoga College facilitates recruitment on an ongoing basis - there are no hard deadlines. Typical time frames for work terms are listed below.
Postings are accepted beginning four months before the start of a term until all students have secured employment provided the minimum 12 consecutive weeks of full-time work is met.
|Year||Fall (Sept. - Dec.)||Winter (Jan. - Apr.)||Spring/Summer (May - Aug.)|
|Year 2||Classes||Classes||Work Term 1|
|Year 3||Work Term 2||Work Term 3||Work Term 4|
Work Term CapabilitiesSpecific skills and abilities that students are typically capable of performing during a given work term are listed below.
Work Terms I - IV
- Develop, debug and modify program code to meet design specifications
- Analyze user's needs and design computer systems using CASE tools
- Apply object-oriented programming (OOP) techniques to business systems development
- Prepare interactive webpages for use in a business environment
- Install and test application software
- Provide support and training for existing and new systems
- Provide technical writing for user and system documentation
- Execute common commands within the popular operating systems of Windows and Linux
- Develop security requirements for an application, a web site or an organization
- Develop Oracle-based applications
- Develop applications that communicate across platforms using Service Oriented Architecture (SOA)
- Design mobile applications using graphic design tools or mobile device emulators
- Develop computer applications involving advanced programming techniques such as Microsoft enterprise applications, Java enterprise applications and mobile applications
Sample Job TitlesWork Term I: Programmer, Database Developer, Client Services Support, Web Designer / Developer, Help Desk Support, Technical Writer, Software Developer, Software Tester
Work Terms II-IV: Systems Analyst, Programmer/Analyst, Application Support Specialist, Information Systems Technologist, Network Technician, Mobile Application Developer
Program CoursesTo see a typical course list for this program, see the current program course information.
Wage DataConestoga College collects data on hourly wages of co-operative education students. See the Schedule and Wage Data for details.
Post a Co-op Job NowSetup an account or login to Conestoga's MyCareer to post a job.
Contact InformationDo you need help developing a recruitment plan or job posting, accessing wage information, or connecting with talented co-op student? Contact:
Employer Relations Consultant
519-748-5220 ext. 2218