Program detailsCredential: 2-Year Ontario College Graduate Certificate
This two-year graduate certificate program prepares students with the skills and knowledge to effectively initiate, plan, control and commission construction projects.
Through the course of study, students focus on private and public construction project appraisal - including planning, scheduling, and financial activities - construction methods, building code, lean construction and effective leadership techniques.
Classroom instruction is enhanced through the use of case studies, group work, field trips, and a capstone project where students apply, integrate and synthesize knowledge into a real-world project.
This program prepares students with the knowledge to take professional certification exams such as: CAPM (Certified Associate Project Manager), PMP (Project Management Professional), PMI Risk Management Professional (PMI-RMP), PMI Scheduling Professional (PMI-SP), ASQ-Quality Manager, AACE- Certified Estimating Professional (CEP), Gold Seal certifications.
Student availability & wage data
Conestoga College facilitates recruitment on an ongoing basis - there are no hard deadlines. Typical time frames for work terms are listed below.
Postings are accepted beginning four months before the start of a term until all students have secured employment provided the minimum 12 consecutive weeks of full-time work is met.
|Year 1||Classes||Classes||Work Term*: $14–28|
*Note: students are available for all semesters: fall (September to the end of December); winter (January to the end of April); and spring (May to the end of August).
Conestoga College collects data on hourly wages of co-operative education students and offers suggested ranges as a service to employers for the purpose of establishing fair and competitive compensation.
Our experience has been that employers increase wages as skills increase, particularly when employing students for more advanced work terms. The Co-operative Education Office can provide assistance to employers in establishing appropriate wage rates.
Work term capabilities
- Evaluate requirements for the development and construction planning and management of a project based on stakeholder needs
- Perform appraisals of investment projects and finances to select viable projects.
- Plan, manage and execute a variety of construction projects according to defined project deliverables and stakeholder expectations
- Evaluate construction project activities for compliance with relevant legal, regulatory and contractual obligations, and industry and organization standards, policies and codes for quality assurance, health and safety, and economic, social and environmental sustainability
- Identify, analyze and mitigate risk through the project life cycle
- Align leadership strategies to manage relationships, resolve conflict and respond to issues that arise when managing collaborative construction projects
- Apply available technologies and applications to enhance work performance and support functions, processes and communications
- Establish and manage strategic relationships with a range of stakeholders to achieve business goals and strategic objectives
- Formulate project management strategies for optimal resource planning and utilization that meet the needs of stakeholders to ensure project cost and timelines remain within desired limits
- Manage construction procurement and supply chain to successfully minimize project costs
- Determine appropriate industry methods, processes, principles, codes, and materials in construction projects to facilitate planning and project delivery according to project requirements
Sample job titles
- Project Coordinator
- Cost Estimator
- Site Superintendent Assistant
- Feasibility Study Team Member
- Contract Administration Coordinator
- Procurement Team Member
- Quality Assurance and Control Team Member
Contact informationDo you need help developing a recruitment plan or job posting, accessing wage information, or connecting with a talented co-op student? Contact:
Employer Relations Consultant
519-748-5220 ext. 3216.