Software Engineering Technology (Optional Co-op)
Program DetailsCredential: 3-Year Ontario College Advanced Diploma
Conestoga's Software Engineering Technology (Co-op) program is recognized as one of the top programs of its kind in Ontario. This dynamic three-year program provides students with the knowledge and skills to function effectively as a Software Developer.
Proper software design and development techniques are learned in order to prepare the student for work in a technical environment. A strong emphasis is made on learning from first principles - developing skills to adapt in an ever-changing industry.
Students develop a firm understanding of software design methodologies in application development, mobile development, embedded programming, systems programming, and database infrastructure.
Conceptual and practical knowledge of desktop development, web development, mobile smartphone/tablet development, database development, software quality, computer security, embedded systems, computer graphics, and multimedia/game programming is acquired.
Student AvailabilityConestoga College facilitates recruitment on an ongoing basis - there are no hard deadlines. Typical time frames for work terms are listed below.
Postings are accepted beginning four months before the start of a term until all students have secured employment provided the minimum 12 consecutive weeks of full-time work is met.
|Year||Fall (Sept. - Dec.)||Winter (Jan. - Apr.)||Spring/Summer (May - Aug.)|
|Year 2||Classes||Classes||Work Term 1|
|Year 3||Work Term 2||Work Term 3||Work Term 4|
Work Term CapabilitiesIt is expected that due to the longer period of time with the employer, students will be given progressive responsibility and/or exposure to new challenges as their skills develop.
Work Terms I - IVStudents are able to perform junior through intermediate level software engineering and development tasks including: software prototyping, specification-based implementation and specification development.
- Experience with Traditional and Agile (SCRUM) design and analysis methodologies as well as traditional project management styles
- Practical knowledge of source-code control and bug-reporting
- Design, develop and execution of unit-level, integration and system level testing - both manual and automatedProficient in:
- C/C++, .NET (C#), Java
- SQL (MySQL and SQL Server)
- Database application development (desktop and web-based)
- Form-based, windows-app store, windows mobile development
- Web development technologies
- Server-side : MVC, ASP.NET, PHP, ASP and CGI
- Experience in mobile application development including Android, BlackBerry, Apple and Microsoft
- Multimedia-based development
- Conduct detailed software troubleshooting, report the issues and provide solutions to the problems discovered
Sample Job TitlesSoftware Developer, Application Developer, Windows Developer, Web Developer, Mobile Software Developer, Web Administrator, Linux System Developer, Programmer, Embedded Software Developer, QA/QC Technologist
Program CoursesTo see a typical course list for this program, see the current program course information.
Wage DataConestoga College collects data on hourly wages of co-operative education students. See the Schedule and Wage Data for details.
Post a Co-op Job NowSetup an account or login to Conestoga's MyCareer to post a job.
Contact InformationDo you need help developing a recruitment plan or job posting, accessing wage information, or connecting with talented co-op student? Contact:
Employer Relations Consultant
519-748-5220 ext. 2218