Program detailsCredential: 2-Year Ontario College Diploma
This program provides students with an overview of the hospitality and tourism industry, and entry-level management skills for a very diverse and integrated hospitality and tourism industry. Students will receive a broad base of business and entrepreneurial skills ensuring a strong understanding of financial, marketing and the human resources aspects of the industry.
Student availability & wage data
Conestoga College facilitates recruitment on an ongoing basis - there are no hard deadlines. Typical time frames for work terms are listed below.
Postings are accepted beginning four months before the start of a term until all students have secured employment provided the minimum 12 consecutive weeks of full-time work is met.
|Year||Fall (Sept - Dec)||Winter (Jan - Apr)||Spring (May - Aug)|
|Year 1||Classes||Classes||Work Term: $12–16|
Conestoga College collects data on hourly wages of co-operative education students and offers suggested ranges as a service to employers for the purpose of establishing fair and competitive compensation.
Our experience has been that employers increase wages as skills increase, particularly when employing students for more advanced work terms. The Co-operative Education Office can provide assistance to employers in establishing appropriate wage rates.
Work term capabilities
- Fundamental skills in food service, restaurant operations, hotel front office and the knowledge necessary to prepare food and present menu items
- Safe food and equipment handling skills
- Provide excellent customer service in dining room and hotel settings
- Prepare drinks and cocktails accurately and efficiently
- Sound knowledge of Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Able to apply cost-control techniques for food, beverages and labour
- Knowledge of purchasing, receiving, storage and inventory procedures
- Experience with Point of Sales Cash Systems and Hotel Property Management systems
- Computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Food Safety Certificate - familiar with safe food handling practices
- Smart Serve Certified - familiar with alcohol service regulations
Sample job titles
- Cruise Ship staff
- Customer Service Agent
- Guest Services
- Hospitality and Tourism Agent
- Hotel Front Office Agent
- Management Trainee
- Marketing Support
- Sales Assistant
- Spa Concierge
- Tour Reservation Agent
- Travel Consultant
- Tour Guide
Contact informationDo you need help developing a recruitment plan or job posting, accessing wage information, or connecting with a talented co-op student? Contact:
Employer Relations Consultant
519-748-5220, ext. 5137