- Program Code:
- Trades & Apprenticeship
- Academic Year:
- 2021/ 2022
- Accelerated Delivery?
To effectively participate in remote learning, students in this program must have reliable Internet access and meet these device requirements.
About the ProgramThis 480-hour program, consisting of two 240-hour levels, is designed to provide the apprentice with theoretical knowledge of all aspects of industrial roofing as well as practical training necessary to complement the apprentice's on-the-job training experience.
Program InformationLength: 480-hour Certificate program delivered in two components
- Prospective students must be registered apprentices with the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development (MLTSD).
- Information related to this apprenticeship program may be obtained from the local Apprenticeship and Client Services Office at 519-653-5758 or 1-866-877-0099 or email Kitchener.Apprenticeship@ontario.ca.
- Conestoga College delivers the in-school component of this apprenticeship program as required by the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development (MLTSD) In addition, the MLTSD requires employers to deliver the greater proportion of apprenticeship training on-the-job.
Tuition & FeesFees are set by MLTSD as per the Offer of Classroom Training.
Books, safety equipment, tools, and parking fees are additional.
Refer to the apprentice orientation page for further details on these additional fees (First Day Checklist).
Applicants are registered on a first-come, first-served basis.
Graduate OpportunitiesRoofers install, repair, and replace roofing systems, including conventional, inverted built-up, single-ply and two-ply modified. They also perform damp, water, and weather-proofing along with installing and repairing slate, tile and shingles and resurfacing roofs.
For more details on related occupations, job market information and career opportunities, see the Government of Canada website: https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/home
Pathways & Credit TransferFor more information regarding Pathways, Credit Transfer or if you're interested in pursuing a related post-secondary program email email@example.com.
Trade Equivalency AssessmentIf you have experience working in a trade-specific area from outside of Canada or within Canada, you may want to pursue challenging your Certificate of Qualification. For more information on Trade Equivalency Assessments contact 1-855-299-0028 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Many Ontario colleges offer pre-certification courses in a variety of trade areas that assist you in preparing to write or re-write your certification exam. These also serve as excellent refresher courses. For more information on part-time pre-certification programs to assist you in preparing for the Certificate of Qualification examination, check out the Conestoga College Continuing Education offerings at https://continuing-education.conestogac.on.ca/or contact 519-824-9390 ext 6148.
Exemption TestingExemption tests may be available to challenge for individual Levels. Please contact the Test Centre https://www.conestogac.on.ca/testing-services/#apprenticeship-exemption-test-details.
|Course Code||Course Title and Description|
|CONS1770||Trade Math and Print Reading 1
Description: This course will enable the apprentice to complete basic mathematical calculations and apply basic drafting and print reading skills as required by a level 1 apprentice in the Roofing Industry.
|CONS1780||Roofing Theory 1
Description: This course will enable the apprentice to identify and describe safe usage of tools, equipment, roof systems, material applications, roof maintenance and sloped roofing common to a level 1 apprentice in the Roofing Industry.
|CONS1790||Roofing Practical 1
Description: This course will enable the apprentice to demonstrate necessary skills for a level 1 apprentice to safely use equipment, roof systems, material applications, roof maintenance and sloped roofing practices common to the Roofing Industry.
|CONS2120||Trade Math and Print Reading 2
Description: This course will enable the student to complete mathematical calculations required in the roofing industry. The student will also learn to interpret complex drawings that relate to roofing applications.
|CONS2130||Roofing Theory 2
Description: This course will enable the apprentice to identify and describe safe usage of tools, equipment, roof systems, material applications, roof maintenance and sloped roofing common to level 2 apprentices in the Roofing Industry.
|CONS2140||Roofing Practical 2
Description: This course will enable the apprentice to demonstrate safe usage of tools and equipment when installing different roof systems, sloped roofing and materials, and when performing roof maintenance common to level 2 apprentices in the roofing industry.
- Apply safe work practices and procedures, to ensure the protection of self and others during roofing applications in accordance with company policies, manufacturer's specifications
- Demonstrate hoisting and rigging practices, and site preparation procedures, select and use a variety of hand and power tools, fastening devices and other equipment for a variety of roofing applications,
- Complete mathematical calculations required in the roofing industry and visualize in three dimensions from two-dimensional drawings, and understand imperial and metric scales, orthographic projection, isometric sketching, and the symbols, abbreviations and conventions used in building plans.
- Describe the characteristics of various insulation materials and vapour retarders, flashing membranes, field sheets and flashings and describe procedures for installing various types of walkways and protective ballast for specific roofing applications.
- Describe the various types of membranes and application procedures for built-up roofing (various types of bitumen and application procedures), in accordance with drawings and specifications, manufacturers' guidelines and the CRCA manual.
- Strip roof in preparation for roofing applications, re-roof and resurface and complete of a variety of roof repairs and perform water and damp proofing applications.
- Describe installation and repair procedures for shingles, tiles and preformed rigid sheeting materials, in accordance with drawings, specifications, manufacturers' guidelines, building codes and by-laws, CSAO, the CRCA manual, the OHSA, WHMIS guidelines and clients' requests.
- Interpret more complex drawings and locate items in the architectural, structural, mechanical and electrical drawings and describe the trade science of roofing practices and procedures
The College reserves the right to alter information including requirements and fees and to cancel at any time a program, course, or program major or option; to change the location and/or term in which a program or course is offered; to change the program curriculum as necessary to meet current competencies in the job market or for budgetary reasons; or to withdraw an offer of admission both prior to and after its acceptance by an applicant or student because of insufficient applications or registrations, over-acceptance of offers of admission, budgetary constraints, or for other such reasons. In the event the College exercises such a right, the College’s sole liability will be the return of monies paid by the applicant or student to the College.
Students actively registered in cohort delivered programs who take longer than the designed program length of time to complete their studies are accountable for completing any new or additional courses that may result due to changes in the program of study. Unless otherwise stated, students registered in non-cohort delivered programs must complete the program of study within seven years of being admitted to the program.
Conestoga is now accepting applications for the new Agricultural Equipment Operation program....
The governments of Canada and Ontario have announced a commitment of more than $180,000 for the...
Industry partner ATS Automation has extended support at Conestoga with a $10,000 donation to...
Conestoga alumna of distinction Clarice Ward has been appointed to the Skills Ontario board of...