Advancing Excellence in Health Care
In 2018, the Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (RNAO) named Conestoga as a pre-designate Best Practice Spotlight organization.
The RNAO Best Practice Spotlight Program started in 2003 as a partnership between RNAO and academic or clinical organizations to enhance patient care through evidence-informed best practice (RNAO, 2018). As a pre-designate, Conestoga will implement and evaluate five RNAO Best Practice Guidelines (BPG) over the next three years. BPGs provide evidence-informed recommendations for health care professionals, and promote excellence in clinical care, health policies and health education.
Under the guidance of Dr. Veronique Boscart and the support of the Schlegel Centre for Advancing Seniors Care, the School of Health & Life Sciences will implement 5 BPGs focused on seniors care. Conestoga is one of the first academic organizations to integrate the RNAO BPGs at an interprofessional level across health and community services programming.
Best Practice Guidelines for Implementation (2018-2021):
- Assessment and Management of Pressure Injuries for the Interprofessional Team Third Edition, 2016 (pdf)
- Assessment and Management of Pain Third Edition, 2013 (pdf)
- Preventing Fall and Reducing Injury from Falls Fourth Edition, 2017 (pdf)
- Delirium, Dementia and Depression in Older Adults: Assessment and Care Second Edition, 2016 (pdf)
- Promoting Safety: Alternative Approaches to the Use of Restraints, 2012 (pdf)
A total of 8 programs will participate in the RNAO pre-designate program (2018-2021):
- Personal Support Worker Program
- Practical Nursing Program
- Nursing- BScN Program (McMaster)
- Paramedic Program
- Occupational Therapy Assistant/Physiotherapy Assistant Program
- Police Foundations
- Enhanced Nursing Practice - Clinical and Critical Care
- Enhanced Professional Practice- Gerontology & Chronic Illness