Windows or MAC laptop requirements - 'good' model
All students entering a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program must:
- have a laptop computer that meets minimum specified requirements
- own and maintain their laptop
- bring their laptop on the first day of classes.
During the first week of the program, students will be instructed on how to download certain software products and how to access other products through the college server.
- Microsoft Windows 10 or macOS 10.14 (or higher) with Parallels software
- 7th Generation Intel Core i3 processor or AMD equivalent
- Minimum 8 GB memory
- Webcam functionality
- Audio capability (speackers and a quality headset/microphone)
- Intel HD integrated graphics or equivalent
- 256GB HD or greater (SSD highly recommended)
- Wireless Network adapter supporting IEEE 802.11g/n/ac
- 13" screen or greater (recommended resolution 1920x1080)
- 2 full size USB ports (USB 3.0 or better recommended)
- A multi-year (3- or 4-year) warranty
- Virus protection software required
- Optional: 10/100/1000 Ethernet RJ45 connection or a USB to Ethernet adapter
The college provides registered students with wireless and hardwired Internet access, access to free software downloads, and server-based access to several program-specific software applications while on campus.
Software access and downloads
Available downloads for registered students:
- For information about the technology and processes used for Teams or Zoom, refer to Consent and privacy for Microsoft Teams and Zoom.
- Students may be required to purchase additional equipment as technology needs change (e.g. web cams for exams). Students who do not have access to the required testing technology at home may be required to write tests on campus in the Testing Centre.
- Each student is responsible for any downtime associated with their device. Losing information can be highly problematic and your primary recourse is only through the hardware provider. It is highly recommended that students purchase a multi-year warranty.