PC laptop requirements - 'ultimate' model
All students entering a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program must:
- have a laptop computer that meets the minimum specified requirements
- own and maintain their laptops
- bring their laptops on the first day of classes.
During the first week of the program, students will be instructed on how to download certain software products and how to access other products through the college server.
- Microsoft Windows 10 or macOS 10.14 (or higher) with Parallels software
- select the operating system your academic program lists for the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program
- 9th Generation Intel Core i7 processor or equivalent
- Minimum 16GB memory
Audio capability (speakers and a quality headset/microphone)
- High performance discrete graphics card with a minimum of 2GB of memory
- 1TB HD or greater (SSD highly recommended)
- Wireless Network adapter supporting IEEE 802.11g/n/ac
- 17" screen or greater (recommended resolution 1920x1080)
- 2 full size USB ports (USB 3.0 or better recommended)
- A multi-year (3- or 4-year) warranty
- Virus protection software required
- Optional 10/100/1000 Ethernet RJ45 connection or a USB to Ethernet adapter
The college provides registered students with wireless and hardwired internet access, access to free software downloads, and server-based access to several program-specific software applications while on campus.
Software access and downloads
Available downloads for registered students:
- Each student is responsible for any downtime associated with their device. Losing information can be highly problematic and your primary recourse is only through the hardware provider. It is highly recommended that students purchase a multi-year warranty.
- This program has determined that a Windows-based PC is required. If you intend to use a Mac, you will be required to have your Mac laptop configured to run Windows-based software. There are two options that support this:
- Purchase and install Parallels Desktop for Mac (supported by IT Services, recommended) Parallels Desktop for Mac allows you to run Windows and MacOS applications at the same time without rebooting.
- Install Boot Camp (comes with Mac) Boot Camp allows you to boot into Windows or Mac OS; you will only be able to run one operating system at a time.