Bachelor of Design (Honours)
Program DetailsCredential: 4-Year Bachelor of Design (Honours)
This unique four-year Bachelor degree program prepares graduates with both the creative and visual acuity, and the knowledge of business strategy that are necessary to create design solutions for today's market needs.
The inter-professional perspective blends graphic design, entrepreneurship, marketing and management. As a comprehensive design program, students take courses in typography, visual design, colour theory, design studio, drawing and illustration, photography, interactive design, as well as branding, marketing, business management, writing and presentation skills, and group dynamics.
Students develop the business acumen needed to manage issues, plan events, develop campaigns and lead communication projects in areas such as employee communication, media relations, investor relations, marketing communication and other specialized communication functions in corporate, not-for-profit and agency environments.
The program employs a project-based learning approach that addresses design and entrepreneurship skills, as well as a variety of emerging issues including accessibility, sustainability, and corporate and social responsibility through dynamic studio projects for both in-class and live clients.
Graduates are well-prepared for positions involving design research, conceptual development, design implementation, and strategy and management.
Student AvailabilityConestoga College facilitates recruitment on an ongoing basis - there are no hard deadlines. Typical time frames for work terms are listed below.
Postings are accepted beginning four months before the start of a term until all students have secured employment provided the minimum 12 consecutive weeks of full-time work is met.
|Year||Fall (Sept. - Dec.)||Winter (Jan. - Apr.)||Spring/Summer (May - Aug.)|
|Year 3||Classes||Classes||Work Term 1|
|Year 4||Work Term 2||Classes||Classes|
Work Terms I and II
- Prepare effective and persuasive communications through written, oral, and visual media in the development of research reports, rationales, final design projects and presentations
- Integrate marketing, advertising, consumer research, universal design principles, environmental sensitivity and sustainability into the development of visual design solutions
- Communicate and collaborate effectively as a team member or leader, with other team members, clients, employers, and other graphic design service practitioners through the application of principles of human relations and organizational behavior
- Utilize critical thinking skills in the development of research, design elements, strategies, and techniques for design problems and projects
- Evaluate information and content through the use of advanced research techniques in all aspects of design exploration, development, and execution
- Develop and present effective and professional graphic design solutions based upon clients' needs and parameters
- Discuss the theoretical, historical and cultural context within which contemporary graphic design has developed
- Apply financial, entrepreneurial and business management principles and practices in the development and operation of graphic design services and projects
- Select appropriate media, both traditional and emergent, and interaction methods for design projects
- Plan and implement design solutions that meet industry production and workflow practices within budget and time-frame goals
- Design a portfolio of creative visual, written, and interactive elements
Sample Job Titles
- Graphic Designer
- Graphic Artist
- Visual Designer
- Brand Specialist
- Creative Services Assistant
- Account Manager
- Web/Multimedia Designer
- Client Services Coordinator
- Studio/Project Coordinator
Program CoursesTo see a typical course list for this program, see the current program course information.
Wage DataConestoga College collects data on hourly wages of co-operative education students. See the Schedule and Wage Data for details.
Post a Co-op Job NowSetup an account or login to Conestoga's MyCareer to post a job.
Contact InformationDo you need help developing a recruitment plan or job posting, accessing wage information, or connecting with a talented co-op student? Contact:
Employer Relations Consultant
519-748-5220 ext. 2996