Conestoga Applied Research and Innovation
At Conestoga, applied research drives collaboration, empowers industry and community partners and gives students the opportunity to learn and grow in rich experiential learning environments.
Conestoga is a leader in applied research, and we're still growing. Over the past five years, the college and its public and private partners have committed over $35 million to support applied research and innovation.Conestoga is ranked among Canada's top 12 research colleges. In 2019-20, we completed 864 research projects, engaging 240 faculty and staff and 3,131 students.
Each of Conestoga's priority research areas support applied research projects that meet the needs of our industry and community partners as well as drive growth in our local and regional economy.
Conestoga @ The Foundry, the college's cutting-edge research facility in Cambridge's Gaslight District, is home to three interconnected research areas:
SMART (Smart Manufacturing and Advanced Recycling Technologies) Centre
- Cybersecurity Zone
- Advanced Recycling Technologies for Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Lab
Conestoga campuses are also home to:
Magna Centre for Supply Chain Excellence
Craig Richardson Institute of Food Processing Technology
Canadian Institute for Seniors Care
Conestoga Entrepreneurship Collective
Canadian Institute for Safety, Wellness & Performance
At Conestoga, research projects are also integrated into the curriculum. Capstone, final-year, thesis, curriculum and independent projects are an important avenue of applied research. Through these projects, one or more students — up to an entire class — explore solutions to a challenge facing a company or community organization.
Applied research opportunities
For companies and organizations
Collaborating with Conestoga gives industry and community partners access to faculty expertise, student employees, and the college's innovative lab spaces and equipment.
Our applied research projects have resulted in significant gains for our partners:
- enhanced, streamlined and technology-enabled processes
- increased efficiencies
- modernized equipment
- product prototype development
- faster time to market
- roadmaps for scaling up small- to medium-sized enterprises
- enhanced sustainability
Partner with Conestoga today to tap into the college's tremendous research expertise, facilities and equipment.
Faculty engagement in applied research at Conestoga can be a rewarding experience.
Participate in applied research at Conestoga to:
- lead and mentor dedicated student researchers as they put their knowledge and skills to work tackling real-world problems,
- engage with the challenges facing industry and community organizations in your field, and
- translate project learnings into curriculum updates and enhancements.
Students are a major part of the success of applied research and innovation at Conestoga.
Through participation in applied research, our student researchers:
- apply program knowledge and skills in new environments,
- encounter and resolve complex problems,
- build real-world skills,
- contribute to a new product or service before entering the workforce, and
- connect with future employers.
Conestoga's Office of Research Services (ORS) is the college's central resource for applied research administration. Contact the ORS to explore applied research opportunities at Conestoga.
Policies and procedures
To access Conestoga's applied research policies and research ethics documents, visit policies and procedures - applied research.