OSAP Changes, Review and Appeal
Your OSAP Application
Once you have submitted your OSAP application online, it takes approximately two business days for the application to show up electronically on our computer systems. We only see the assessment once the application has been processed by the Ministry. We do not see the preliminary estimate that you see on the OSAP website.
If you need to make changes to your OSAP application after it has been submitted, please contact Student Financial Services in writing. Supporting documentation may be required, depending on the requested change.
Notice of Assessment Entitlement Changes
A change on your OSAP application information can increase or decrease your entitlement, even if you have already received your full original entitlement. A number of validation checks, such as income and asset information, can cause a reassessment. You must notify the Financial Aid Office throughout your study period if you have any income changes. A drop in your course load, or an early withdrawal may also change your eligibility.
Changes, Review and Appeal
If you need to make a change, or do not think that your OSAP assessment is sufficient to fund your post-secondary education, you may view the forms available on the OSAP forms site. Please contact Student Financial Services or visit our office in the Welcome Centre, Doon Campus if you have further questions or concerns.
All completed OSAP forms should be uploaded on the OSAP website, mailed via Canada Post, or dropped off in person at our office.
Note: Uploading your forms on the OSAP website will result in the fastest processing time.
For a list of common update or appeal forms, please visit the forms site on the OSAP website. If you cannot find the form you need for your circumstance, please contact Student Financial Services for assistance.
Some common OSAP forms:
- Update/Add Parental or Spousal Information
- Adjust living allowance
- Adjust local travel
- Request to use Parent's Estimated Income
- Request to use Spouse's Estimated income
- Residency Review
- Income Verification for Non-taxable or Foreign income
- Email Student Financial Services for the following changes:
- Change in Status (Married or Common-law)
- Change in Status (Sole-Support Parent or Single Independent Student)
Restriction Reviews and Processes
- Credit Check Review
- Academic Probation Review
Requirements: Letter explaining why you were unsuccessful in your previous studies, what steps you will take this year to ensure success, and what your academic and career goals are
- Academic (1 year) Restriction Review
Requirements: After serving the one year penalty period submit a letter explaining why you were unsuccessful in your previous studies, what steps you will take this year to ensure success. You must also state your academic and career goals. include a letter from the National Student Loans Service Centre stating that your loans are in good standing. Include a student transcript from your previous studies if you did not attend Conestoga College
- Loan Overpayment Review
Requirements: A copy of your Loan Account Statement showing that you have paid the overpayment back to the National Student Loans Service Centre
- Provincial Loan Default Restriction
Requirements: Contact the Ontario Collection Management Unit at 1-800-387-5604
- Federal Loan Default Restriction
Requirements: Contact the National Student Loans Service Centre at 1-888-815-4514 and ask to be connected to the Canada Student Loan Program
- It is very important to keep your OSAP file up-to-date. Not updating your income information can impact your grant funding and future eligibility for OSAP support.
- You can adjust your earnings through the Income Update link on your OSAP account part-way through your study period; or at any time by providing the Financial Aid Office with a letter or email asking us to adjust your income. Our office would need the amount of your income, the time period for that income, and where that income is coming from (i.e. government funding, employment, scholarships etc.) to confirm the update.
*Please note that Conestoga College reports all bursaries scholarships and awards that we process to OSAP. You only need to report awards that are received from an external source. If you are unsure on which awards you need to report, please contact our Awards Office at email@example.com
If you are fewer than four years out of high school you are considered a dependent, so the income for your parent(s) is required to complete your application. OSAP will not let you submit your application without that information.
New for 2019-20: The provincial government now views students as independent if they have been out of high school for at least six years. If you have been out of high school for four years and do not want to report your parent's income, then you may ask for federal-only funding.
If a serious and permanent family breakdown has occurred and you file a Family Breakdown Appeal, you are considered independent for OSAP purposes and no parental information is required. You will indicate that your parental information is not available when you complete your OSAP application. OSAP will then inform you of the supporting documentation that is required. Please upload all your supporting information on the OSAP website.
Interaction with other forms of Government Support
If you are in receipt of ODSP support, or if your spouse or common-law partner is in receipt of ODSP support, OSAP will cover only your direct educational costs, including tuition, compulsory fees, books, supplies, equipment and local travel costs. This calculation will be done automatically when you apply for OSAP.
In most cases, if you are receiving support through Ontario Works they will stop providing support and you will be eligible for full OSAP funding. Please talk to your Ontario Works caseworker for more information.
If you are receiving Second Career, or CPP support, you will must declare it as income on your OSAP application. OSAP can act as a "top-up" in these cases if the OSAP calculation deems that more support is required.
Add a Summer Session or Change a Study Period or Program
- Use this form if you are changing programs or have withdrawn and want to come back in the next semester.
- The form can also be used if you have been receiving OSAP in the winter semester and want to add the summer semester study period.
- Submit an OSAP Application Update Change to Study Period of Program form, available on the OSAP forms page.
- Further information is available in the Student Financial Office located in the Welcome Centre at Doon Campus.