|School ||School of Health & Life Sciences|
Nursing - BScN|
|Academic and Professional Designations |
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Masters of Leadership and Training (MA)
- N2MM3/N2NN3 - Nursing Concepts in Health and Illness
- N2L03 - Professional Practice
- N3X04/N3Y04 - Professional Practice
- ATH SCI 4HR3 - Nursing Research
|Areas of Expertise & Interest|
- Forensic Nursing
- Safe Medication Practices
|Industry Experience, Professional Currency Activities|
- Member of the Nursing Research Interest Group
- Member of the Canadian Association of Pediatric Nurses
- Member of the RNAO
- Clinical Position at Grand River Hospital (Pediatrics)
|Major Research Projects, Scholarly Activities, and/or Publications |
- Creating Quality Practice Environments for Nurses Through Communities of Practice. Presentation at the University of Western Ontario and the Iota Omicron Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International Honour Society of Nursing 22nd Annual Research Conference.
- Piloting the thinking and acting like a nurse formative assessment. Presentation at the Canadian Nursing Education Conference, Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing (2014).
- "Interprofessional Case Management: Pharmacy and Nursing Students Learning Together". Accepted for presentation at: Association of Faculties of Pharmacy Canadian Pharmacy Education and Research Conference; 2020 May 21-24; Montreal, QC. (Conference cancelled).
- Medication Quality and Safety: Developed an interprofessional medication error database that can be used to influence teaching practices with the School of Health & Life Sciences.
- Interprofessional Education: In partnership with the University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy, we are exploring the role of nursing and pharmacy learning and working together through a collaborative elective, as well as an educational evening with a focus on palliative care.
- Houle, S. K., Lillie, E., Richard, C. L., Slivecka, J., & Miller, A. (2020). The Design and Impact of an Interprofessional Education Event Among Pharmacy and Nursing Students in Palliative Care—RnRx. Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing, 22(4), 292-297.
|Additional Information||I enjoy working with students in the clinical practice area and supporting their development as a nurse. Outside of work, I enjoy being active in the outdoors.|