Occupational Safety is part of Security Services and is responsible for ensuring the college is in compliance with all applicable federal and provincial occupational safety and environmental legislation.
- Assisting college staff to comply with health, safety and environmental legislation
- Employee health and safety training
- Accident/incident follow-up, statistics and reporting
- Ergonomic assessments
- Occupational hygiene
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (W.H.M.I.S.) program
- Hazardous waste disposal
Report an Incident
Please follow the instructions and fill our the online incident report form.
Persons involved in the incident:
- For incidents that occur at work, report them to your supervisor as soon as possible.
- For incidents that require immediate first aid attention or an unsafe condition exists, contact Security Services.
- If an injury later escalates into a medical aid or lost time, you must notify your supervisor and the Occupational Safety office of this change.
- For incidents that occur in class, report them to your professor as soon as possible.
- For incidents that occur outside the class but on college property, report them to Security Services as soon as possible.
Contractors and visitors
- For incidents that occur on college property, report them to your college contact or Security Services as soon as possible.
Supervisors, security and other college contacts
- Complete the online incident report form with the person involved in the incident within 24 hours of the incident.
- Attach any additional information relevant to the incident (witness statements, MSDS, Student Acknowledgement form, etc.).
Health & safety committees
The Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committees (JOHSCs) are comprised of members of faculty, support and management staff. The committees meet every three months and discuss and recommend corrective actions for safety hazards and concerns identified.
The Central Health and Safety Coordinating Group is independent of the JOHSCs and is comprised of the Certified Members of each JOHSC and management staff members. This group discusses the safety hazards and concerns that apply college-wide and not just to the individual campuses.
To contact a committee member, please see the Membership List posted on your Health and Safety Bulletin board.
The Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committees for each campus meet quarterly. The minutes are posted on My Conestoga from the most recent meetings. For earlier meeting minutes or to see a signed copy, please contact the Occupational Health and Safety office at email@example.com.
The Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act, the regulations made under the Act as well as some useful guides about the regulations can be accessed from the Ministry of Labour web site (use the link below). The college is responsible for complying with the Act and all applicable regulations and the Ministry of Labour is the governing body who enforces this legislation at college facilities.