Business Administration - Supply Chain and Operations Management (Co-op)
Program DetailsCredential: 3-Year Ontario College Advanced Diploma
This three-year advanced diploma program is designed to prepare the graduate for a professional career in operations and supply chain management. Graduates of this program will find success in the public, industrial, retail/wholesale, service and private sectors of the economy. Further, graduates of this program will assume leadership roles as business professionals in areas such as supply chain management, logistics, purchasing/procurement, resource planning and control, inventory management, warehousing and distribution, operations management and systems implementation. The program is fully accredited by the Canadian Supply Chain Sector Council.
Partnerships with professional associations including SCMA (Supply Chain Management Association), APICS, and OPBA (Ontario Public Buyers Association) afford students in the program the opportunity to network with professionals and work toward recognized professional designations while at school. In addition, graduates receive an industry accredited Six Sigma Yellow Belt certificate for their accomplishments in the program.
Student AvailabilityConestoga College facilitates recruitment on an ongoing basis - there are no hard deadlines. Typical time frames for work terms are listed below.
Postings are accepted beginning four months before the start of a term until all students have secured employment provided the minimum 12 consecutive weeks of full-time work is met.
|Year||Fall (Sept. - Dec.)||Winter (Jan. - April)||Spring (May - Aug.)|
|Year 2||Classes||Classes||Work Term 1|
|Year 3||Work Term 2||Classes||Work Term 3|
Work Term CapabilitiesSpecific skills and abilities that students are typically capable of performing during a given work term are listed below.
Work Terms I and II
- Execute basic purchasing tasks related to handling purchase requisitions, purchase orders, quotations and other associated purchasing and vendor management activities
- Complete requests for quotations and purchase orders
- Perform vendor surveys and qualify vendors
- Apply project management techniques, including use of Microsoft Project
- Utilize software tools such as: Excel, Word, and Access
- Create a sales and operation plan, a production plan, a material plan and an inventory plan
- Analyze product costs, contribution margins
- Source parts and raw materials
- Complete a master production schedule
- Interpret blueprints and other technical documents
- Perform inventory analysis including cycle counting and root cause analysis
- Use demand planning to predict incoming business and shipments
- Maintain inventory records such as receipts and issues
- Perform production scheduling, inventory control, and materials planning duties
- Create and monitor orders (Purchasing and Manufacturing) from placement to delivery
- Undertake product costing
Work Term III
- Apply Statistical Process Control (SPC) techniques and process variation analysis for continuous improvement
- Apply logistics techniques to various transportation and material movement enterprises
- Utilize as well as understand terminology, inputs and outputs of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software
- Conduct junior work measurement assignments
- Apply scheduling techniques for shop floor control and loading
- Apply capacity management techniques
- Design and improve warehouse operations
- Apply Lean Concepts for continuous improvement
Sample Job TitlesWork Terms I and II:
Purchasing Assistant, Logistics/Inventory Analyst, Materials Planning Analyst, Materials Inventory Analyst, Buyer, Material Planner, Jr. Project Coordinator, Scheduling Coordinator, Customer Support Representative, Traffic Specialist
Work Term III:
Distribution Analyst, Cycle Counter, Production Scheduler, Planner/Buyer, Master Scheduler, Material/ Logistics Coordinator, Supply Chain Planner/Analyst, Quality Assurance Assistant, Materials Planner/Scheduler, Business Analyst (Transportation), Merchandise Planning Coordinator, Lean / Continuous Improvement Analyst