Structural Steel Management and Detailing
Program DetailsCredential: 2-Year Ontario College Graduate Certificate
This intensive 16-month graduate certificate program builds on a prior degree or diploma to prepare students with specialized training in the detailing, supply, fabrication, coordination, management, and installation of steel structures.
The curriculum is directly related to industry standards and working conditions with challenging projects encompassing design development using CAD and Building Information Modelling (BIM), building code requirements, specifications, product sourcing, estimating, and project management. The learning environment is founded on project-based learning principles and includes discussion groups, seminars, field trips and practical assignments in which students also develop detailed analytical and communication skills necessary for working in the structural steel industry.
This program is sponsored by the Steel Plus Network (SPN) and the Canadian Institute for Steel Construction (CISC).
Student AvailabilityConestoga College facilitates recruitment on an ongoing basis - there are no hard deadlines. Typical time frames for work terms are listed below.
Postings are accepted beginning four months before the start of a term until all students have secured employment provided the minimum 12 consecutive weeks of full-time work is met.
|Year||Fall (Sept. - Dec.)||Winter (Jan. - April)||Spring (May - Aug.)|
|Year 2||Work Term||Classes|
Work Term Capabilities
- Work well within a team
- Interpret construction documents with guidance of a supervisor
- Register the relationship between structural steel and other building components
- Calculate a bill of materials and determine cost estimates
- Interpret CAD and BIM drawings
- Create detailing drawings using specialized industry software
- Apply statics and strength of materials to estimate/verify loading conditions and path
- Recognize and apply many industry codes, rules and industry standards of practice