Program description - September 2023
Do you want a great job when you graduate? Launch your health-care career by applying to the online Bachelor of Applied Health Information Science degree. Help fill a skill shortage for in-demand jobs as data analysts, business intelligence specialists, privacy professionals, and clinical informatics specialists. The Bachelor of Applied Health Information Science (Honours) degree is an innovative four-year, online program focusing on health informatics and health information management. You will experience a variety of real-life learning opportunities that will enrich your learning experience. You will be challenged to use creativity and problem-solving skills to design, implement and evaluate a broad range of projects with community partners. You will design health informatics and information management solutions while learning to maintain security, privacy, and confidentiality. A paid co-op term prepares you for a number of in-demand career opportunities in the health-care industry. Our graduates enable the health-care system to achieve its goals of person-centred, safe, high- quality and sustainable health care through data-informed problem solving. By using applied and integrated knowledge and skills from health information science, biomedical and health sciences, information technology and management sciences, you can make a positive impact to the health-care system.The Bachelor of Applied Health Information Science degree offers you opportunities to develop critical thinking and communication skills that enable you to work successfully on inter-professional teams. With small class sizes, dedicated professors, leading-edge course design, and the flexibility to study any time or place, this online degree program makes continuing your education and advancing your career possible.Graduates will qualify to challenge the national certification examination of the Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA).
- Advanced standing pathways are available for graduates with diplomas in health information management or in Conestoga’s Health Office Administration program.
- Successful completion of a pre-health sciences program may be considered as meeting the admission requirements.
Tuition & fees
Please note: Tuition and fee details for terms starting September 2023 and later will be available Spring 2023.
Canadian fee details
Returning student tuition & fees
Lease Your Own Device (LYOD) program
As part of Conestoga's commitment to innovative learning strategies, the Lease Your Own Device (LYOD) program is designed to enhance your learning experience and ensure you have the appropriate technology to successfully complete your program. The LYOD program provides students with full use of a device for their academic studies and the option to own the device upon graduation. The Lease Your Own Device (LYOD) program is mandatory for students in participating programs.
Awards & scholarships
Student Financial Services awarded more than 400 awards, scholarships and bursaries last year.
- Co-op programs add value to your education. Earn money while you apply what you've learned in a real workplace environment. Visit Co-operative education for more information. EN-CA>
- The College cannot guarantee co-op employment. All co-op students are required to conduct an independent co-op job search in addition to the supports and services provided by the Department of Co-op Education.
- Students are responsible for their own transportation and associated costs in order to complete work term requirements. Work locations may not always be readily accessible by public transportation.
- Students who are not eligible for co-op or do not secure the first work term by the start of the work term semester will be offered the option to enrol in the 15 credit Career Management in Canada GCM70000 co-op alternative. This co-op alternative involves guided activities involving approximately 3 hours of time per week and additional project work.
- If GCM70000 is selected, students cannot transfer back into the co-op stream and cannot complete a co-op term for their first work term.
- GCM70000 is delivered online.
- GCM70000 is only an alternative for the first co-op work term of the program, students will still complete at least one mandatory co-op work term if they choose GCM70000.