Bachelor of Applied Health Information Science (Honours)
Program DetailsCredential: 4-Year Bachelor of Applied Health Information Science (Honours)
Accredited by the Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA)
This four-year co-op program prepares graduates with integrated knowledge and skills in Health Sciences, Information Technology, Management Studies, Interpersonal and Communication Skills for managing health care data and information.
Graduates of the program are able to analyze data, information, and end-user requirements in health care; design, implement and manage information systems; support decision-making of clinicians and health care managers; and provide strategic leadership in health care organizations in relation to health informatics, health information management and information technology
Student AvailabilityConestoga College facilitates recruitment on an ongoing basis - there are no hard deadlines. Typical time frames for work terms are listed below.
Postings are accepted beginning four months before the start of a term until all students have secured employment provided the minimum 12 consecutive weeks of full-time work is met.
|Year||Fall (Sept. - Dec.)||Winter (Jan. - Apr.)||Spring/Summer (May. - Aug.)|
|Year 3||Classes||Classes||Work Term 1|
|Year 4||Work Term 2||Classes||Classes|
Work Term CapabilitiesTechnical Solutions Development and Support
- Diagnose and troubleshoot software/hardware issues for users
- Design relational databases and write complex SQL queries
- Assist in executing test cases and report test results to the development team
- Assist in documenting online and printed user manuals and system documentation
- Install and test system and application software
- Assist in maintaining system design documents using various modeling software tools
- Perform database reporting using business intelligence tools
- Develop web-based applications and dynamic web pages that interact with databases
- Apply rigorous principles and methodologies of systems design to the development of information systems
- Design user interfaces using usability principles
- Gather and analyze data and information requirements
- Assist in the analysis of business processes
- Analyze existing software/hardware requirements and recommend improvements
- Maintain method specification using flowchart, pseudo code and hierarchy charts
- Prepare research papers, formal reports and presentations
- Analyze business processes
- Perform data modeling and XML-based data management
- Develop and maintain system design documents using various modeling software tools
- Perform hardware selection and system testing including usability testing
- Assist in the preparation of research papers, presentations and reports
- Provide user training and support with administrative and clinical information systems
- Demonstrate an understanding of principles of privacy, confidentiality, and security in protecting health care data and information
- Perform independent primary and secondary research using library and Internet resources
- Select and use appropriate research methods to answer research questions
Sample Job TitlesApplication Developer, Database Developer, Technical Writer, Software Tester, Junior Business/Systems Analyst, System Implementation Specialist, User Training and Support, Research Assistant, Junior IT Consultant, Database Administrator, Research Assistant, Software Tester (usability), Web Application Developer, Web Designer, Assistant Project Manager, UX Designer, Solution Support Analyst, eHealth Deployment Specialist, Standards Project Assistant, Decision System Analyst, Health Records Technician, Information Management and Integration Analyst, Applications Analyst, Quality Analyst
Program CoursesTo see a typical course list for this program, see the current program course information.
Wage DataConestoga College collects data on hourly wages of co-operative education students. See the Schedule and Wage Data for details.
Post a Co-op Job NowSetup an account or login to Conestoga's MyCareer to post a job.
Contact InformationDo you need help developing a recruitment plan or job posting, accessing wage information, or connecting with a talented co-op student? Contact:
Employer Relations Consultant
519-748-5220 ext. 2218