How do I know if I need to take an elective?
Refer to your enrolment documents (program design) or your progress report in the
Student Portal. Select the
My Courses tab >
View Progress Report. If you are still unsure, please contact your
I took previous post-secondary courses. Will they count as electives?
Conestoga grants credit transfers to qualifying courses. Visit credit transfer to learn more about transferring credits.
How do I register for my elective?
If you are in one of the following programs at the Kitchener - Doon campus, please follow the instructions found at course-based registration.
- Business Administration - Accounting
- Business Administration - Financial Planning
- Business Administration - Management
- Business Administration - Marketing
- Business Administration - Marketing (Co-op)
- Business Administration - Supply Chain & Operations Management
- Business Administration - Supply Chain & Operations Management (Co-op)
- Business - Finance
- Business - Insurance (Optional Co-op)
- Business - Marketing
- Business - Purchasing
- Business Fundamentals
- Health Office Administration
- Medical Office Practices
- Office Administration - Executive
- Office Administration - General
- Office Administration - Legal
For all other programs, please make your course selections as follows:
- Log in to the Student Portal with your Student Network Login ID and password.
- Go to the My Courses tab.
- Click on Add Course/Choose Elective button (scroll down to view).
- Select the General Education (diploma) or Interdisciplinary (degree) elective course you wish to register in.
- View Availability to ensure the course is available and open.
- Click on ‘Add to Cart.’
- Find the course in your cart and click 'Checkout and Enroll'.
- Confirm Address > Click 'Save' on bottom of Contact Information page.
- Confirm Registration.
- Verify that you are enrolled in the course > My Courses > Check registration status in course list.
- Log out or continue to use other portal services.
Please contact the
Registrar’s Office if you are having issues with the registration process.
I didn’t take an elective in a past term but need one to graduate. What do I do?
You may register for an in-class or online elective to get caught up. For more information, please contact Jen Matthews.
Please note: courses are subject to availability and fees may apply.
Can I take my elective in a later term?
It is highly recommended to take your elective in the term that it is scheduled for within your program design. Each program is designed with specific courses in certain terms to meet the best interest of students. Electives are factored into the course load/hours and fees for the specific term. It is recommended that you consult your program advisor before signing up for an elective at a different time. Taking your elective outside of its designated term may affect your fees, so it is also important to talk to
Student Financial Services whenever making course changes.
Can I take my elective a different day/time or switch my section?
To take an elective a different day/time or within a different section than is offered in your drop-down menu under the Add Course/Choose Elective button in the Student Portal:
- View the full elective course list for the term:
How do I know if I have enough electives to graduate?
Check your progress report in the Student Portal (select the My Courses tab > strong>View Progress Report), or consult your program advisor. Contact Jen Matthews for outstanding questions regarding these requirements.
Can I take an OntarioLearn General Education Elective?
OntarioLearn General Education electives are diploma level courses available to part-time students. Full-time students who take these electives must also pay the course fees. If you are taking an OntarioLearn General Education elective to meet the General Education requirements of your program, please contact Jen Matthews to confirm course eligibility before registering.
Can I take my elective at a different institution?
Yes, you can take an elective course at a different institution. Before enrolling, please email Jen Matthews the course outline of the course you plan to register for to confirm General Education elective eligibility.