Program detailsCredential: 2-Year Ontario College Diploma
This program is designed to provide students with theoretical knowledge and techniques of quality food preparation, an understanding of the complexity of kitchen management and an appreciation of fine food. Co-operative education work terms in the program enable the student to develop and enhance skills for careers in a variety of settings including the hospitality industry and institutional food service facilities. Upon completion, the graduate should have strong entry-level skills to meet the culinary demands of the industry.
Student availability & wage data
Conestoga College facilitates recruitment on an ongoing basis - there are no hard deadlines. Typical time frames for work terms are listed below.
Postings are accepted beginning four months before the start of a term until all students have secured employment provided the minimum 12 consecutive weeks of full-time work is met.
|Year||Fall (Sept - Dec)||Winter (Jan - Apr)||Spring (May - Aug)|
|Year 1||Classes||Classes||Work Term: $15-19|
Conestoga College collects data on hourly wages of co-operative education students and offers suggested ranges as a service to employers for the purpose of establishing fair and competitive compensation.
Our experience has been that employers increase wages as skills increase, particularly when employing students for more advanced work terms. The Co-operative Education Office can provide assistance to employers in establishing appropriate wage rates.
Work term capabilities
- Demonstrate fundamental culinary skills and knowledge necessary to plan, prepare and present menu items
- Demonstrate safe food and equipment handling skills
- Apply cost control techniques for food and beverages
- Familiar with food safety and sanitation procedures
- Apply cost control techniques for food such as inventory, purchasing and receiving procedures
- Use human relations skills and maintain professionalism while working in the food service environment
- Provide excellent customer service in dining room settings
- Computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Smart-Serve Certified
- Food Safety Certificate
Sample job titles
- Short Order Cook
- Line Cook
- Institutional Cook
- Assistant Cook
Contact informationDo you need help developing a recruitment plan or job posting, accessing wage information, or connecting with a talented co-op student? Contact:
Employer Relations Consultant
519-748-5220 ext. 5137