Program detailsCredential: 3-Year Ontario College Advanced Diploma
This innovative three-year co-op program addresses the need for IT-savvy individuals with business skills related to the software industry. Students acquire a broad and unique skill set including programming, systems analysis and design, graphic design, marketing and entrepreneurship.
Design issues such as navigability, aesthetics and User Experience (UX) are emphasized with particular attention to the design and development of software for mobile devices and emerging digital technologies. Students also acquire the entrepreneurial aspects of IT innovation and design such as product viability, capital funding, and client specifications and expectations.
Graduates are well prepared for work in all areas of the commercial and business application software development industry.
Student availability & wage data
Conestoga College facilitates recruitment on an ongoing basis - there are no hard deadlines. Typical time frames for work terms are listed below.
Postings are accepted beginning four months before the start of a term until all students have secured employment provided the minimum 12 consecutive weeks of full-time work is met.
|Year||Fall (Sept - Dec)||Winter (Jan - Apr)||Spring (May - Aug)|
|Year 2||Classes||Classes||Work Term 1: $15.50–25|
|Year 3||Work Term 2: $16.50-25||Work Term 3: $17-26||Work Term 4: $17.50–28|
Conestoga College collects data on hourly wages of co-operative education students and offers suggested ranges as a service to employers for the purpose of establishing fair and competitive compensation.
Our experience has been that employers increase wages as skills increase, particularly when employing students for more advanced work terms. The Co-operative Education Office can provide assistance to employers in establishing appropriate wage rates.
Work term capabilities
Specific skills and abilities that students are typically capable of performing during a given work term are listed below.
Work terms 1 - 4
- Develop interactive eCommerce web pages that are functional, user-friendly, easily navigable, visually appealing and commercially viable
- Design mobile application user interfaces that are easily navigable, usable and tailored to the target market
- Use market research and analysis to evaluate software concepts and designs for viability with respect to the target market, demographics, choice of platform and potential revenue streams
- Develop, debug and modify program code to meet design specifications
- Analyze user's needs and design computer systems using CASE tools
- Apply object-oriented programming (OOP) techniques to business-systems development
- Install and test application software
- Provide support and training for existing and new systems
- Provide technical writing for user and system documentation
- Develop software interface designs using graphics tools such as Photoshop, and mobile device emulators
- Design, develop and test mobile applications using graphic design tools and mobile device emulators
- Develop proposals and designs for new applications and eCommerce sites
- Evaluate the market potential of emerging digital technologies and evaluate the potential for incorporating new technologies into existing software applications
- Develop a marketing plan for a website or application that includes the look and feel of the software, design of logos, tagging, use of banners and advertising
- Develop a complete business plan for a new application or eCommerce website including: market research to determine the uniqueness of the application, an analysis of the target market, identification of potential revenue streams and sources of startup capital
Sample job titles
Work term 1:
- User Experience (UX) Designer
- Software Designer
- Application Developer
- Database Developer
- Client Services Support
- Web Designer / Developer
- Help Desk Support
- Technical Writer
- Software Developer
- Software Tester
- Mobile Application Developer
- GUI Designer
- Systems Analyst
- Software Marketing Specialist
- Application Support Specialist
Contact informationDo you need help developing a recruitment plan or job posting, accessing wage information, or connecting with a talented co-op student? Contact:
Employer Relations Consultant