Program detailsCredential: 2-Year Ontario College Diploma
This two-year program prepares students with training in the structural design of corrugated, plastic, paper, metal and glass packaging materials.
Students apply theoretical knowledge and develop the practical skills required to evaluate and design characteristics, attributes, manufacturing processes, and systems & technologies associated with packaging materials through the application of engineering principles and practices. Concepts and issues in product safety and security, durability, material selection, cost, and process are all covered in detail.
Graduates of this program are prepared for employment in the manufacturing and packaging material supply industries.
Student availability & wage data
Conestoga College facilitates recruitment on an ongoing basis - there are no hard deadlines. Typical time frames for work terms are listed below.
Postings are accepted beginning four months before the start of a term until all students have secured employment provided the minimum 12 consecutive weeks of full-time work is met.
|Work Term*: $16.55–22
*Note: students are available for the fall (September to the end of December); and spring (May to the end of August).
Conestoga College collects data on hourly wages of co-operative education students and offers suggested ranges as a service to employers for the purpose of establishing fair and competitive compensation.
Our experience has been that employers increase wages as skills increase, particularly when employing students for more advanced work terms. The Co-operative Education Office can provide assistance to employers in establishing appropriate wage rates.
Work term capabilities
- Apply engineering principles to assess and solve technical problems in packaging design and manufacturing
- Use ArtiosCad to solve technology and applied engineering problems
- Apply packaging testing techniques to verify compliance with quality specifications and regulations
- Design protective packaging systems to prevent/solve hazards encountered in product distribution
- Recommend process and product improvement by assessing packaging design and cost structure
Sample job titles
- Package Development Specialist
- Packaging Coordinator
- Packaging Designer
- Packaging Engineering Technician
- Packaging Technician
Contact informationDo you need help developing a recruitment plan or job posting, accessing wage information, or connecting with a talented co-op student? Contact:
Employer Relations Consultant
519-748-5220, ext. 3216