Please note:

For additional housing support, please email your International Transition Coordinator team.

Housing tips

  • Start your search early – The rental market is competitive. Search listings and begin contacting landlords as soon as you receive your visa.
  • Look for a convenient location – Find a place near your campus or that is easy to get to by public transit.
  • Know the costs – Expect to spend a minimum of $800 per month to rent a single room in a shared apartment or house. Upfront costs include first and last month's rent.
  • Avoid scams – Don't send money unless you have verified the legitimacy of the landlord and the rental unit. Beware of fake roommate and fake landlord scams.

Join one of our upcoming Housing Wednesday sessions to learn about the Canadian rental market, housing search strategies, and available resources and supports.

Watch Your Canadian Housing Search Series on our Conestoga International YouTube channel for important information to consider in your search for housing.

Housing options

There are many housing options for you to choose from depending on your needs and preferences.

On-campus residence

Conestoga College has three on-campus residences. Please note: our Kitchener - Doon/Cambridge - Fountain Street residence is only convenient to the Kitchener - Doon and Cambridge - Fountain Street campuses. Our Waterloo - University Ave. residence is close to Waterloo campus and is a short bus ride to the Kitchener - Downtown campus (4.5 km / 20-minute bus ride). The Brantford - Darling St. residence is ideal for students attending Brantford campus. For other campuses, please see the off-campus housing resources provided on this page.

Who can apply?
All students enrolled full-time at Conestoga can apply to residence.
When to apply?
Students can apply to residence before they are accepted into their program. Apply as soon as possible as space is subject to availability. Please note: there is a $100 non-refundable application fee. This fee is not included in the residence fees.
Residence rates
Your Conestoga College tuition account is separate from your residence fees account. Please do not instruct your banking institution to pay Conestoga College for your housing costs.
How to apply?
For more information, visit Residence.
Off-campus rentals

Live off campus with roommates or on your own. The most common way to search for off-campus housing is through rental listing websites or networking with family, friends, and other Conestoga College students.                              

Viva Engage (formerly Yammer) is a great way to connect with other Conestoga College students about available housing. Log into Viva Engage using your Condor ID and join the International Students Housing and Rideshare group for your campus community.

Please note: do not post housing or carpool inquiries in the Conestoga All Companies group. Only post in the designated international students housing and carpooling connections groups.

Register for one of our upcoming Housing Wednesday sessions to learn about effective strategies for your housing search in Canada.

Off-campus rental listing websites

Resources for understanding your Canadian housing search

Resources for understanding landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities

Please note: the websites listed above are not affiliated with or monitored by Conestoga College. Please be cautious when using social media to connect with other students or landlords.                               


Homestay is a program that matches international students with local host families to live with while studying at Conestoga.                                   

Conestoga College partners with Canada Homestay Network Inc. (CHN) to administer our Homestay program.                                   


  • a private bedroom
  • meals
  • laundry facilities and Internet connectivity and
  • the opportunity to live with a Canadian family


September 1, 2023 - August 31, 2024: Kitchener-Waterloo area

Homestay fees are $975 (half board: breakfast and dinner) or $1,050 (full board: three meals per day) with a minimum two-month placement required, plus $325 for registration, placement and administration fees.

September 1, 2023 - August 31, 2024: Milton - Mississauga area
Homestay fees are $1,285 (half board: breakfast and dinner) or $1,352 (full board: three meals per day) with a minimum two-month placement required, plus $375 for registration, placement, and administration fees.

To apply:

Canada Homestay Network
Contact Homestay by email: help@canadahomestaynetwork.ca

Temporary housing - hotels

Need temporary accommodations?

If you do not find a place to live before you arrive in Canada, your option is to book temporary accommodations until you secure longer-term housing.

Below is a list of hotels within proximity to our campus locations. Several hotels on this list provide discounted rates to Conestoga College students. You will need to contact the hotel directly to ask if they provide a student discount and be prepared to show proof of student status when you arrive at the hotel to receive the special rate. Book in advance by phone or online through the hotel website using a valid credit card.

Third-party booking websites such as booking.com, expedia.ca and hotels.com also offer discounted rates for temporary accommodations.               

For Kitchener - Doon and Cambridge campus students

Best Western Plus Cambridge Hotel
730 Old Hespeler Road, Cambridge, ON N3H 5L8
Phone: 519-623-4600 
Distance to Kitchener - Doon campus: 7 min by taxi, 50 min by bus
Distance to Cambridge campus: 7 min by taxi, 50 min by bus

Hilton Garden Inn Kitchener/Cambridge
746 Hespeler Road, Cambridge ON N3H 5L8
Phone: 519-620-8936
Distance to Kitchener - Doon campus: 10 min by taxi, 50 min by bus
Distance to Cambridge campus: 10 min by taxi, 50 min by bus

Homewood Suites by Hilton
800 Jamieson Parkway, Cambridge ON N3C 4N6
Phone: 519-651-2888
Distance to Kitchener - Doon campus: 10 min by taxi, 1 hr 10 min by bus
Distance to Cambridge campus: 11 min by taxi, 57 min by bus

Kitchener Inn and Suites
4355 King Street East, Kitchener ON N2P 2E9
Phone: 519-650-6090 / 1-877-600-6090
Distance to Kitchener - Doon campus: 9 min by taxi, 50 min by bus
Distance to Cambridge campus: 10 min by taxi, 50 min by bus

For Kitchener - Downtown campus students

Crowne Plaza Kitchener - Waterloo
105 King Street East, Kitchener, ON N2G 2K8
Phone: 519-744-4141
Distance to Kitchener - Downtown campus: 2 min walk

Quality Inn Kitchener
2899 King Street East, Kitchener, ON N2A 1A6
Phone: 519-894-3500
Distance to Kitchener - Downtown campus: 9 min by taxi, 18 min by bus

The Courtyard Marriott
2960 King Street East, Kitchener, ON N2A 1A9
Phone: 519-894-9500
Distance to Kitchener - Downtown campus: 9 min by taxi, 17 min by bus

For Waterloo campus students

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Waterloo
14 Benjamin Road, Waterloo, ON N2V 2J9
Phone: 519-772-9800
Distance to Waterloo campus: 9 min by taxi, 45 min by bus

Staybridge Suites
10 Benjamin Road, Waterloo, ON N2V 2J9
Phone: 519-514-5500
Distance to Waterloo campus: 9 min by taxi, 45 min by bus

For Guelph campus students

Comfort Inn Guelph
480 Silvercreek Parkway, Guelph, ON N1H 7R5
Phone: 519-763-1900
Distance to Guelph campus: 3 min by taxi, 7 min by bus

Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Guelph
725 Imperial Road North, Guelph, ON N1K 1X4
Phone: 519-821-2144
Distance to Guelph campus: 4 min by taxi, 12 min by bus

Staybridge Suites Guelph
11 Corporate Court, Guelph, ON  N1G 5G5
Phone: 519-767-3300
Distance to Guelph campus: 10 min by taxi, 1 hr 17 min by bus

For Brantford campus students

Best Western Brantford Hotel & Conference Centre
19 Holiday Drive, Brantford, ON N3R 7J4
Phone: 519-753-8651 or 877-341-1234 (toll free)
Distance to Brantford campus: 8 min by taxi, 30 min by bus

Comfort Inn Brantford
58 King George Road, Brantford, ON N3R 5K4
Phone: 519-753-3100
Distance to Brantford campus: 9 min by taxi, 30 min by bus

Days Inn by Wyndham Brantford
460 Fairview Drive, Brantford, ON N3R 7A9
Phone: 519-759-2700
Distance to Brantford campus: 8 min by taxi, 25 min by bus

Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Brantford Conference Centre
20 Fen Ridge Court, Brantford, ON N3V 1G2
Phone: 519-720-0084
Distance to Brantford campus: 9 km, 13 min by taxi, 25 - 38 min by bus

TownePlace Suites Brantford and Conference Centre
30 Fen Ridge Court, Brantford, ON N3V 1G2
Phone: 519-720-2777
Distance to Brantford campus: 9 km, 13 min by taxi, 25 - 38 min by bus

For Milton campus students

Best Western Milton
161 Chisholm Dr., Milton, ON L9T 4A6
Phone: 905-875-3818
Distance to Milton campus: 6 min by taxi

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Milton
2750 High Point Dr., Milton, ON L9T 5G5
Phone: 905-876-4955
Distance to Milton campus: 2 min by taxi; 11 min walk

Home2 Suites by Hilton Milton Ontario
8490 Parkhill Dr., Milton, ON L9T 9B3
Phone: 289-878-3800
Distance to Milton campus: 2 min by taxi; 9 min walk

Housing FAQ

Does the college arrange housing for students?
  • No, the college does not arrange on-campus or off-campus accommodation for students. It is the student's responsibility to secure accommodation for themselves.
  • See the housing options above to help you in your off-campus housing search.
  • Visit Conestoga Residence for information on residence room rates, locations, and how to apply. Please note: There are a limited number of spaces in residence. We recommend registering as soon as possible to have the best possibility of securing a room.
What types of housing are available to me as a Conestoga student?

There are a variety of housing options available including homestay, on-campus residences at some campus locations, and off-campus accommodations. Options vary depending on individual needs and budgets. Please review the housing options section above for more details, including a list of temporary accommodations in your campus city. Please note: If you have not secured long-term housing prior to arriving in Canada, be sure to have a plan in place for short-term accommodation upon arrival.

What are the average rental rates for off-campus housing?

Visit Cost of living for information on average rental rates in your campus community. Rates can vary considerably depending on your campus city and your individual needs as a renter.     

When should I start my housing search?

The rental market in our campus region is highly competitive. It is recommended that you start your housing search approximately 60 days or more prior to your arrival in Canada.     

Can my partner and/or child(ren) live with me in a private room in shared accommodation or in on-campus residence?
  • No, private room rentals within a shared accommodation are not suitable for students with partners and/or child(ren). If you are coming to Canada with family members, options include either a 1, 2, or 3-bedroom private apartment or house, depending on your budget and family size.
    • Please note: Most of this accommodation would be unfurnished and generally only include major appliances such as a refrigerator, stove/oven and possibly a microwave and clothes washer and dryer. Furniture, including beds, tables, chairs, etc. and other household accessories would be the responsibility of the student renter (or tenant).
  • Students with family members are not permitted to live in Conestoga residences or in Homestays.
Can I share a room with other individuals to save on rental costs?
  • Room sharing is not common practice in Canada, and we do not recommend it.
  • Most landlords who own student rental houses will only allow one person per room, and you would need permission from the landlord to share a room.
  • If you do choose to share a room, we do not recommend sharing a room with more than one other individual as it carries several additional risks (see below).
What risks are associated with room sharing?
  • Typically, only one of the individuals in a room share is considered a "legal tenant" on a written lease with the landlord and others are considered "occupants" with no legal rights in place to protect their rental security.
  • If your name is on the lease and you are sharing a room with other individuals who are not named on the lease agreement, you can be held responsible for any damages to property, missed rental payments, or unacceptable behaviours of other occupants.
  • As a "legal tenant" on a lease, you are protected by the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) and both landlords and tenants must abide by the rights and responsibilities listed within this law.
  • As an "occupant" you have no legal protection from being evicted without notice and without repayment of unused portion of rent. You are also not eligible for tenant insurance.
What can I do if there is overcrowding in my off-campus rental?
  • In some cases, room sharing may be overcrowded, unhygienic, or non-compliant with housing bylaws. These sorts of conditions could jeopardize your physical safety and mental well-being.
  • If you have concerns about overcrowding, speak to your landlord or contact the City Bylaw department for an inspection.
What is the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) and does it apply to me?
  • The RTA is the housing law which details the rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords in most rental units in the province of Ontario.
  • Rules are enforced by the Landlord and Tenant Board.
  • It is important to know if your rental is covered by the RTA as this determines whether you have legal rights and responsibilities while you are living in the unit.
  • You can use this online tool to determine if the Residential Tenancies Act applies to you and your rental unit.
  • Typically, if you are sharing a kitchen and/or bathroom with your landlord, landlord's family member, or the individual who collects your rent, the rental unit would NOT be covered by the Residential Tenancies Act. This means that you would not have the protection or rights extended to tenants according to this Act.
What is tenant insurance, and do I need it?
  • Tenant insurance protects you from unexpected damage to your rental unit and your belongings.
  • It protects you from personal liability in case of an emergency or accident (fire damage, etc.).
  • You must be considered a legal tenant to qualify for tenant insurance.
  • Many insurance companies offer tenant insurance. Prices and coverage vary. It is important to research and select the plan that best suits your situation.
  • The college strongly recommends that all student renters purchase tenant insurance to protect their belongings in case of unforeseen loss due to theft, fire, or water damage, etc.

For more accommodation information, email Conestoga’s International Transition Coordinators.

Disclaimer: Conestoga College makes no warranty or representation regarding any premises, landlords or leasing agents that are listed on this website or any links provided herein. The listings are simply provided as a convenience to assist students in locating possible housing opportunities.

Conestoga has not inspected or investigated any premises or links in any way, inclusion of these various websites or links shall not be construed as an endorsement or approval by Conestoga College.

Conestoga College disclaims any responsibility, among other things, for the condition of any premises, terms of any leases, or compliance with any municipal or provincial rules or regulations established in the Landlord Tenant Act of Ontario.

All prospective tenants are strongly encouraged to exercise common sense and good judgment when evaluating prospective rental units and landlords.

If you have questions, you may wish to seek legal advice.